• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbe ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heavy

Registered
I am new to this so bear with me, I have a pentium 233mmx runing at 266 (75*3.5) my ? is :if I flash the bios will I be able to use a higher multiplier?
the mother board is a gemlight but I cant get there site to come up,so I went to dtk's site and downloaded the users manual for the board (pam 0052v) witch is the same ,except the dtk board shows more jumper settings than is printed on the gemlight (silkscreened on board) thanks in advance for all help.

Maybe,maybe not.
It usually tells you what the bios update does on the site you download it from or in a readme file that comes with the bios rom file.

The description from the dtk site says its for K6-3 support .
Will it hurt anything if I flash the bios and there not the right ones? also what are the steps to flashing bios?

Yes the computer may be become unusable if the bios is not made for the motherboard specifically.

To flash the bios you need to use the flash utlilty that is made to work with your type of bios.

Make a bootable floppy.
Put the bios file on it as well as the flash utility.
Reset you pc's bios to default settings.
Boot the computer using the boot disk.
Use the flash utility.

Award bios have the same numbers except for the ones after the "C" at the end
Does this mean the bios is just a newer version?

Most likley yes.
But if you use it and something goes wrong dont blame me :)
Also if you do flash it should ask you if you want to make a backup of your current bios. Do that and you might be able to use that restore if things go bad.

I think my best course of action will prally be to just leave well enough alone and live with 263mhz till I can save a few pennies .
This flashing bios thing scares the heck out of me :)

yes.. flashing BIOS can be dangerous if you flash the wrong version. Like you said, it's better just leave it alone.. but if you wanna try later on, there's another good way to flash your BIOS without using a floppy disc. If u're interested let me know.. I'll tell you :)

Back