• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOLY! 7.2V on the 12V rail! World record?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

Yep, this is such a POS powersupply, the second i saw it i threw it in my closet, but when i got my multimeter i decide to put it out and find out just how crappy it really was....

Lets see, i jumped it so i wouldnt have to stick it in a mobo, and tested the 12V rail..... 10.64 with absolutely NO load...... wow.

I was curious, if it only puts out 10.64 on the 12V with NO load, what would it do WITH load??????? So i plug in my 130W peltier (which would load it to the max) and it drops down to 7.2V!!!!!

Then it goes up to 7.6.

I think i broke the world record for the crappiest WORKING psu ever.

Oh, i know someones gona ask this, so its a L&C 250W powersupply that puts out 9A (pffft, yeah right).

Just thought i'd throw that out there, if youve done worse i'd like to hear about it!

My only question is Why did you throw it in the closet and not the nearest trash can :p

blackjackel said:
Oh, i know someones gona ask this, so its a L&C 250W powersupply that puts out 9A (pffft, yeah right).

Ah, one of the infamous Deer 250w units... these things are awful, and probably the worst examples of PSU engineering out there. I wouldn't be surprised if these particular models have a greater than 70% failure rate. Mine lasted two years, but was killing hard drives when I stopped using it.

Server case LOL

I tested my spi with no load it was 10.7 but the more load I added the higher it went not lower, im assuming thats normal?

Re: Re: HOLY! 7.2V on the 12V rail! World record?

Oklahoma Wolf said:

Ah, one of the infamous Deer 250w units... these things are awful, and probably the worst examples of PSU engineering out there. I wouldn't be surprised if these particular models have a greater than 70% failure rate. Mine lasted two years, but was killing hard drives when I stopped using it.

I had a few of those Deer 250W units, they Suck A$$. If they did work, they would die in less than a week. I got a bunch of them for free from my old High School. Oh well, they were free.

maybe u could lay one out in front of one of your enemy's houses and just wait for their computer parts to mysteriously fry :D

if it has deer any where in it dont let it touch your computer parts!!!! its deadly power virus may destroy your computer!!!:eek:

LOL

i had one, lasted a year and when i pulled it out some parts of the cirut board were very dark from heat. i still got it. soooo gald it didnt kill anything........

~Alex

Mr.Radar said:
Could you post pics of this thing's internals?

Here's mine. I keep it around as a reminder not to put blind trust in cheap pieces of hardware ever again.

Deer%20PSU.jpg

Sorry about the quality, I have no digital camera so I used the scanner instead ;)

The numbers are the trouble spots after two years of service.

#1 - Popped secondary filter caps
#2 - Resistor overheated and nearly burned next to fan
#3 - More overheating
#4 - Location where the bad main filter caps were

These cheap supplies have one regulator for the +5V and +12V rails. so if you were loading one rail, the voltage on the other would shoot up. So what would happen if you connected a REAL load (Like a mobo that pulls load off the 5V rail and the 3.3, a hard drive and an optical) you would see the voltages inch closer to the real values. Voltage goes up when loaded, not down, and PSUs need minimum load on all rails to correctly function.

I'm not trying to defend your PS, but maybe the testing method is not valid anyway. PC supplies aren't designed to run unloaded on any rail. That said, My POS 400 watt Codegen PSU had a very stable 12V rail and a flaky 5V. My new custom-made PS has an excellent 5V (1% regulation - always between 4.97 and 5.03) and a high 12V (13.6 sometimes) which will be adjusted after I apply full load, adding two more hard drives and a DVD-RW. There is a pd on the 12V line, which causes its voltage to be on the higher side. After the pad is removed, the voltage will come down.

nope...

since then i tried loading the 3v rail, the 5v rail and the 12v rail either stayes at 10.6 or goes down to 7.6.

even tried loading all three rails and teste...

its a piece of crap

nuff said

But were your loads realistic? Because even some really good PSUs will put out funny voltages if they're not loaded down enough, and with one of those PSUs the +12V rail was so low with a 300-500 MHz system that the HDs wouldn't spin.

Also are those voltages from a meter and not the mobo monitoring hardware? With one mobo, SpeedFan reported the +12V rapidly alternating between about 7V and 8V or 10V, all while the meter read held steady at 12.11V.

Back