• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

usb/printer problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syberspy9

I am running windows xp pro, and I am trying to install a printer which worked before when I had windows 98, now it is a nogo. the printer is an hp deskjet 3550 heeeeeelp! When I put the install disc in ,it shows an error that says the usb port is not ther or no usb port or usb driver. however the speakers do work, on their usb ports.

Try window's update, try updating your chipset drivers. I had the same prob with some USB devices working and some not. Also check on updated drivers for your printer.
Hope that helps,
Rob

yes it was the mobo it needed a usb update but i downloaded it opend it and it extracted to files (setup information(codded junk) and a security catalog(dont know how to explain it) but now what do i do with the to extracted files msi wont help me mutch there jerks. what do i do with the files (i just savewd them to my settings folder) so do i past them some were???

I always put those types of files onto my desktop. That way I can find them right away. I think that if you do this, you will find that one of those files is a .exe, or .inf or something. that will make your life easier.

When you are done, move them from your desktop to another folder of your choice in case you need them later.

ya i saved them and i know were they are but there is no read me file no help nothing just the files i mentioned before
setup information and security catalog files one of eatch now were do i put them so they work??

buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG
ok lissan up i download the one file its an Application file
called viapatch then i open it intall it (to were it wants it C:documents and settings (same place the install file was)
then it installs to files:
viaehcx1
security catalog
78kb

and

viaehcx1
setup information
2kb

the 2kb one is just a coded read text file like and the other one is openable and its got well ya um how do i explain this well in xp pro that im using the icon is 3 sheats of paper with a yellow band wraped around it cant say mutch more if u wan the same file (if u think u can understand it go to msi look up kt3ultra and find one for the kt3ultra2 that is a usb update (not hard to find)
i need this plz help has to be doen within
3hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chances are that one of the files is an executable file with a file extension of ".exe" or an installation file with an extension of ".inf" If there is an exe file just double click it and it will install or it will decompress some other other files that you need to look at too. If it installs, then you're done. If it decompresses files, then look for another executable file amone the decompressed files and double click that. If you find an inf file, then right click it and select install and you're done.

You may also have the "extensions" hidden. So go to the tools menu in "MY Computer" and select folder options, click the view tab, and uncheck the box that says "hide file extensions for known file types."

ok as i said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i unzipe/decompressed the file msi let me download.
and that poped up the to files

called viapatch then i open it intall it (to were it wants it C:documents and settings (same place the install file was)
then it installs to files:
viaehcx1
security catalog
78kb

and

viaehcx1
setup information
2kb

the 2kb one is just a coded read text file like and the other one is openable and its got well ya um how do i explain this well in xp pro that im using the icon is 3 sheats of paper with a yellow band wraped around it
so were do i put the files in my c:???? so that they work
when i opend the compressed file it made me installe the decompressed files above but i restarted and my usb still dont work!!! so i have the right files and i decompressed them properly the big Q is were do i put the files so they will work????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!

syberspy@school said:
...the icon is 3 sheats of paper with a yellow band wraped around it cant say mutch more if u wan the same file (if u think u can understand it go to msi look up kt3ultra and find one for the kt3ultra2 that is a usb update (not hard to find)
i need this plz help has to be doen within
3hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that this is an .inf file. In which case, when you update the device, (I think its your USB that we are talking about) and it asks for a driver, you point it to that file.

ok when and what asks for that file because once i decompress the file then nothing happens even when i restart so im thinking all i have to do is past these files some were but were??

syberspy@school said:
ok when and what asks for that file because once i decompress the file then nothing happens even when i restart so im thinking all i have to do is past these files some were but were??
The 'what' is the item that you are trying to update. Go into the device manager, find the item that you want to update, go into properties, drivers, and select 'update driver'. When it asks for the driver, point it to the files that you downloaded.

This will not be an automated process. It would have been nice if your manufacture had made an exe that did all of this for you but they didn't. This is why you are having a time of it all.

Additionally, it would be nice if you could see the file extensions. To do this, double click 'My Computer'. At the top, click on 'Tools' then Options. Select view. Check the item to 'show all files', and uncheck the item to 'hide file extensions'. Apply it and you will be able to see more info on those files you downloaded. It will take out some of the guess work that is going on.

ok thanx i know ive been a bit mad but now i understand i have to tell it to update OK!!
but man i allways have it so that i can see all hidden files ect i know aout that. i know i sent 2 e mails to msi telling them they need to give a read me file next time.
ok ill try that.thanx (will be a week before i get to try it so ill pm u when or if i need help again thanx again.
peace

Back