• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marche

Registered
Hi
I have a 1600+ at 133 fsb
and 512 of ddr at 166fsb

if i overclock my fsb of the cpu in the bios will it also clock up the memory? as the memory has a higher fsb
thanks

What PSU, Motherboard and cooling are you using? Do you know if your chip is a Palomino or Tbred?

To answer your question, yes increasing the FSB will also overclock the memory, but if you reduce the memory speed to 133 then the buses will be synchronised and you will get better latency. The underclocking of the RAM will leave you more headroom in that department, eliminating a limiting factor.

IM using a soltek golden flame nforce 2 motherboard and the chip is a palimino. IM using an arctic cooling copper silent.
So if i knock the ram down too 133mhz so it is in sync, and then up the fsb to 166 the meory and cpu will be at a 1:1 ratio?
thanks

Yes, but your processor will most likely not handle it as Pallies aren't the greatest overclockers.

This method will allow you to OC in windows:
Go into the BIOS and lock your PCI/AGP speed at 66mhz. Select User Defined for all the options put DDR and FSB to 133 (which is 1:1), reboot. In windows use Prime95 and while that is running use ClockGen for Nforce2 to bump up the FSB in 5MHz increments. Prime will bomb if you go too high, also use mbm5 to monitor temperatures/voltages.

so is it best to get the highest speed ram i can afford and then drop its speed to 133? Or does ddr400 not go that low?
i won that 1800+ on ebay so i can get rid of the palimino.
thnaks

DDR400, DDR333 is backward compatible. You just run it at a lower speed, is all. No need to upgrade unless you hit a brick wall.

That Tbred you bought will go high and mighty, so 12.5x166 will limit you to 2083MHz. Unless your board can set the full range of multipliers (I think yours can??) you may be limited by your RAM.

Don't buy some more until you test the stuff you already have ;)

Back