• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem with drivers for laptop modem------

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wired14

My friend has a sony vaio which is pretty old compared to today's laptops. It is 700mhz w/128mb memory installed and a 10gb. Anyways, he had a lot of software problems nd he asked me if i could format it for him and reinstall windows. His laptop came with winME when he bought it 2-3 years ago and he stil has all the CD's that came with it .
I went ahead and installed winXP.( i know 128mb sucks for xp) and everyhting worked fine . Progs and applications load foaster...
The only problem i have is making his pci built in modem to work. WinXP can not find the drivers. I tried to install the drivers manually from the sony cd's that came with his laptop but not luck. His modem is like it is not there.
My other guess is to try and locate the drivers myself on Sony's website , save them on a disk and give it one more try.

Any other tips?

Try searching the model number for driver info, and then you can try differant versions of the modem driver, I usually record info from the device manager prior to performing generic Os installs on laptops as some drivers can be a real ball to find, What model is it and maybe I can help you.

-Milkman

Here try this page for Drivers it looks like the original Os was Windows Me but here is some drivers for Xp, hope this helps.

-Milkman

Edit: the link just brings you to sonys page, choose the model from downloads, then choose other Os from there, that will bring you to the Xp driver page for that model.

one more thing

the abopve site lists drivers for his mousepad and audio drivers for XP on a vaio sony. Now, everything works fine you think i should install the other drivers too despite the fact that everything is fine now?

Back