• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V8X Mobo Owners........How far did you overclock??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshiro

This is just out of my own curiosity. I like to know what is the average CPU speed (regardless of multilier and FSB) you guys can overclock to. Mine won't be stable anything above 2.31Ghz (13 * 178).

Memory - Geil Gold Value series PC3200 512 MB (2 sticks)
Power supply - Turbolink 420W
CPU - 1800 DLT3C JIUHB 0323.
Fan and Heatsink - Thermalright SP27 with 92mm Vantec Tornedo

I'm a little fasturated here because I can't hit 2.4 ghz. Just want to know if I am at the right range.

The highest ive been able to hit on my a7v8x so far is 2.0ghz, but its because of my ram, and also the fact that i need to unlock my processor, im using the 2000+ (1.666ghz) i run it normally at 1850mhz, but intend to get it to run stabily higher then 2ghz when i get ram faster then pc2100 :( . the board seems to handle overclocking fairly well which suprised me... so i think i will be able to hit a fairly high # soon enough.

So, i guess that A7V8X is indeed a piece of carp for overclocking.........

too bad for me. I will lower the fsb and increase the multiplier tongiht. Thanks.

The VIA KT400 chipset does not have a PCI lock and the NForce 2 does. (I have both types of boards)

There's no problem with using a KT400 if you processor is unlocked. Just increase the multiplier.

You can run your RAM at DDR400 even though FSB is 333; it's actually faster than running at DDR333, if you have tight timings.

Maybe you need better cooling before it will hit 2.4. If it is enough, have you tried giving more voltage?

Of course, you never know how far you can go until you try. Many people with KT400 boards have been able to get very close to 200 MHz FSB, and some over. The KT400 doesn't seem to be able to go quite as high on average as its predecessor, the KT333. See my signature. Many other people have had similar luck with the KT333.

But there is more to overall performance than just FSB.

I was able to hit 185 fsb with my a7v8x and kingston hyperx pc2700. You might be able to hit 190 fsb if you're lucky. There is no pci/agp lock so as you turn up the fsb the pci/agp bus speed goes slightly out of spec.

How much voltage are you putting into that 1800+. How are your temperatures? You can expect anywhere from 2.3-2.5 ghz from that stepping. I had a jiuhb dlt3c 0311 1800+ that wouldn't go past 2.3 ghz no matter what. My niuhb dlt3c 0334 does 2.5ghz with stability at 1.8v. There is alot of luck involved even if you get a good stepping.

Also you're probably better off running the ram in sync with the fsb rather than running it at ddr400.

julianba said:
I How much voltage are you putting into that 1800+. How are your temperatures? You can expect anywhere from 2.3-2.5 ghz from that stepping. I had a jiuhb dlt3c 0311 1800+ that wouldn't go past 2.3 ghz no matter what. My niuhb dlt3c 0334 does 2.5ghz with stability at 1.8v. There is alot of luck involved even if you get a good stepping.

This is sad if it can't post above 2.3. I am currently running at 2.32Ghz (14 * 166) and my temperature is 38 degrees idileing. As for my Vcore, its a little wierd. The online manual says by moving a jumper on my mobo, I can increase the voltage my voltage to a max of 1.9V. But in the manual that comes with my mobo, it says it can go up to 2.05. If you owned the A7V8X mobo, you will understand what I am saying because the bios does not show the actual voltage since you have to add the 0.2V to the vcore setting.

I uses the ASUS probe utility and it said I am running a vcore of 1.7V. I think it may be higher. The highest I can go is 1.725V (per stated in the ASUS probe utility). This is the problem here. I tried to go higher on the vcore, my computer will post HARDWARE ERROR under DOS before windows boot up. If I keep going up on the vcore, my computer won't even boot.

The only thing I am sure of is that my memory is good (since I am not overclocking it), and my temperture is low. My power supply is a Turbolink 420W and it should be good, I hope. I don't know if it is my power supply, mobo, or CPU that restrict me to go to 2.4Ghz. I know my mobo is stable with a max FSB of 180 because I tested it before, with a low multiplier of 9.

Any suggestions???????

Have you checked the Northbridge? You should at least pull it off and see if there is any thermal grease.

The stock one on my 8K3A+ didn't have a fan on it. I put one on it, and later read a thread at AOA where someone upgraded the northbridge cooling, and it was like a new motherboard. Turned out the stock heatsink insulated the chip more than it cooled it.

I put on a better one with AS3, and set out to see how high I could go. I ran 213x11 for quite a while. But while everything else worked perfectly, copying CD's would result in a coaster. So I had to drop down until I got the PCI bus back to 41 MHz.

My info is in my sig. Let me know if you have any other questions.

ps. I fold 100% of the time so under full load my cpu temp is 38C. I haven't seen a idle temp in over 9 months:D

I was running full load at 32C with the help of 'old man winter' but my wife put the kabosh on it Once the room temp went below 60 one night...fogot to check the CPU temp that night...might of gone uder 30C

Overall I have had pretty good luck withthis board. For one with all the bells and whistles it has Oc'ed pretty well.

I tried prime95 yesterday at 2.32 (14 * 166) and receive errors after running for about 1 hour. My temperature is around 44 degrees underload. Vcore is at 1.7V. If i increase the vcore any further, my 12V threshold will overshoot to 13.5V.

No matter what I do, my CPU wont go to 2.4. The highest I can get to is 2.35, but my computer will freeze up.

do you guys think its my power supply or the heatsink on the northbridge like repo man 11 said??

Getting fasturated................

I have to feed my 1700 2.1 volts to get 2.4 out of it, so I think you'll need more than 1.7 for your 1800. If you can't give it any more because your +12 goes too high, then that is a definite problem.

Northbridge cooling seems to be especially critical for high FSB. So it shouldn't be a factor with lower FSB/higher multipliers like you are now trying.

You may want to do some research to see if there are adjustable pots for the voltage rails in your PSU. But if there are, make sure you know what you are doing before attempting to change them. It could be a fast way to end up with a box full of junk!
Adjusting the pots in my Sparkle 400 watt really helped my overclock.

It could be a combination of things, power, memory and processor.
When you say 44C under load - what is reporting the temp? If it is the asus MB then I wouldn't trust it you could be as much as 10C higher.

I had extreme trouble getting my FSB over 187 no matter what my multiplier was.

Don't forget to look on the bright side, you took a 1800 @ 1530mhz to 2320 for a 790mhz or a 51% OC. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Answering your original question:
I had my A7V8X @ 2.3 ghz w/ my 2600+ Tbred @ various multipliers and FSB settings (13x177 mostly). I've sold that system though--twas great fun and I lost only like $10 on 9 months of use :)
I didn't have much luck any higher than that though.

masterwoot said:
Answering your original question:
I had my A7V8X @ 2.3 ghz w/ my 2600+ Tbred @ various multipliers and FSB settings (13x177 mostly). I've sold that system though--twas great fun and I lost only like $10 on 9 months of use :)
I didn't have much luck any higher than that though.

How high is the voltage on your vcore?

I have a similar problem. I can't get my system to post after i raise the X-er higher than 12. Even 12.5 won't post. I can't figure it out. I've tried everything i can think of and i'm lost...help!

Back