• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a/c or fridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

I have decided to make my own water chiller. My only question is....Should i buy a 5,200 BTU a/c a/c or a fridge fridge Pretty much i want whichever will be easier to use and get me the best temps.

Im guessing it takes you to the main page? anyway its under airconditions. Its like $98.

alright,so far thats what everyone is saying so thats my choice. Thanks for the help. Just a quick "dumb" question. About how much is one of those thermometers in your avatar?

Computertrendy said:
Holy hell. Thanks for the link. That's the cheapest price I've ever seen for a fridge/cooling equipment;) Heh, I'm buying that next paycheck.

Gotta love walmart, I just wish the one here would hurry up and open, It's still under construction

Fridges dont run 24/7. If you ran one as a chiller the compressor would burn out. A FREEZER would work but no where near as well as an A/C. To bad an A/C is so damned loud...

a little off topic but can you convert an A/C unit to a Phase-change cooler (a-la mach1 and mach2) or are they only good for water chillers???

You can convert them to direct die but you would need to change the cap tube size, change the evap to a direct die block which you need to make or buy from baker18 than charge the system as well as add a flexi suction line. With all the work required you would be much better off building your own setup with a quiet compressor.

creepy said:
alright,so far thats what everyone is saying so thats my choice. Thanks for the help. Just a quick "dumb" question. About how much is one of those thermometers in your avatar?

As far as a temp meter, I'm partial to the UEI brand. They run anywhere from 99-139. I myself have the UEI DT200 and I think I paid about 139 for it at Johnstone Supply.

hey what i did with my system was take a 1.8 mini fridge and gutted it so that all that was left was the compressor and then used 3/8 copper pipe for the return and 1/4 for the high side then all i did was use a maze 3 water block for the evaporator and it works great

the key to this system is to not over fill it or under fill it
and test for leaks

-23c average

i tried to make a chiller but i had to insolate too much my system is a quick freeze it take like 5 mins to get to 0c and 5n to get to
-23c

yea but a a/c compressor is really noisy and the whole point of having a compressor is to loose most of the noise

toocooltorun said:
yea but a a/c compressor is really noisy and the whole point of having a compressor is to loose most of the noise

How do you figure? Compressors are used for phase change cooling, not for silent cooling. The point of having a compressor is to compress the refrigerant, not to make your system quieter. There isn't a more noisy component that you would replace with a compressor to reduce noise.

Back