• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Heatsink NOT requiring motherboard removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poopyman67

Registered
I am looking for a good heatsink, however, most of the high performance ones out there require that you remove the mobo to install the mounting bracket, etc. I really don't wanna do this, and was wondering, what is the best heatsink/fan that does not require you to do this??

Noise is NOT a problem, as long as its not outrageous, and if u k2n, I have a Gigabyte 8KNXP. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I'd look at a Swiftech MCX478-V with either a 92mm Panaflo H-1 or the 92mm Enermax. I believe with the Zalmans you don't need to remove the mobo either and from what I hear are excellent, but I've never tried them.

hmm, swiftech, yeah, they make pretty good stuff, and I know zalman is also really good. Any1 know of any others?

You DO need to remove the board to install the Zalman...unless ( like me) you have skeletonized the motherboard wall for a fan.

crap, i really dont want 2 have 2 take out my mobo. Its really a big inconvienience.

clocker2 said:
You DO need to remove the board to install the Zalman...unless ( like me) you have skeletonized the motherboard wall for a fan.

ah well there ya go poopyman67, told ya i never used one before :)

Get a thermalright SLK-900A. You don't need to remove your board and it's pretty much the 3rd best, after the SLK-947U and SP-97.

clocker2 said:
I understand.
There's 15 minutes shot to hell....

(grin) I used to dread having to remove the mobo, but at this point I've taken it out so many times that it doesn't even phase me. No matter which HS I used, I found that removing the mobo made its installation much easier, including the SLK-900A.

hafa said:
15 minutes? Man, don't I wish! It takes me 15 minutes just to remove the 37 i/o cables on the back of the unit and losen the screws on the 5 pci cards. Then we get to deal with 6 hard drives...

Just out of idle curiosity, why must you remove your HDDs to take out the motherboard?
And 37 I/O cables?
Surely you exaggerate...

I have a Swiftech MC370 and I wish every manufacturer would go this kind of clip retention setup. If it weren't for reapplying thermal interface, you can install/remove the heat sink in under five minutes. I save that heatsink for testing my new CPU's and mobos that come in to make sure they're not defective.

i agree with blkgti

although i still haven't got my sp-97 to work, it was the first time ive taken out my mobo EVER. it was really easy, and i don't know how you got it set up, ,but i never removed any drives.

had to wiggle the mobo around a bit to get it out and back in, but wasnt a big deal

clocker2 said:

Wait....why do you need to remove the motherboard? I have a Zalman and I didn't need to remove the motherboard.

i think im going with the SLK-900A. Thermalright makes some pretty good stuff.

NOOOO!!! THIS ISN'T Compatible with INTEL!!! FUDGE!! Gotta find a different one!

Last edited:
I found my answer!!!!!! The gigabyte pro cool 3-d or whatever its called, no removal of mobo and performance within 1-2 C!!!!! Ohh yeah!! Gigabyte 2 the rescue!!

serenityNOW said:

Wait....why do you need to remove the motherboard? I have a Zalman and I didn't need to remove the motherboard.
Perhaps you have a different model than I.
I have the 7000cu and it mounts onto two brackets that are screwed into the motherboard.
You must access the rear of the board to install the bracket screws....

Back