• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 3000+ and I do not play well together

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathDad

I’m afraid I have really made a poor decision. I have being running an EPOX 8rda+ (rev 1.1) with an AMD 2100+ T-bred and 1 GB of Corsair PC2700 mem. Vid card is a Sapphire 9800Pro. I have FSB at 200 and multiplier at 11.5. Mem timings are 11-3-3-2.5. Everything is air-cooled. Some of my benches are:

3DMark2001 -- 16,996
3DMark03 -- 5696
Aquamark -- 42,564

These were OK. I was happy. But then I got my tax refund back and decided to spend some of it before my wife got it all. And this is where I get stupid. My MB maxes out at a 3000+ 333mhz CPU, so I order one from NewEgg, figuring WTH, it’s gotta improve my performance at least some. So it arrives, and as far as I can tell, it’s unlocked. At least all multipliers are listed in BIOS and the numbers on it aren’t on the list of locked ones (week 38). So I boot it up stock settings, run benches, and it falls way below anything I had with the 2100+. 3D2001 yields 13,400! I try increasing FSB, decreasing multiplier, get it to 200/12.5, but scores are still bad. I am not very savvy in all this stuff, but I just figured that a stock 3000+ would beat an over-clocked 2100+. Ain’t happening…

And here’s another dumb move on my part. I assumed after the 3000+ was installed, I would have to re-install WinXP. But the PC booted just fine into the OS after the new CPU was in. Here comes the real noob question; Do I need to re-install XP? Can that possibly screw up my benches?

Fell free to flame me for my ignorance. I deserve it. I’m just knocked off my feet that I have purchased what I thought was the best I could get for what I had, and it has been so disappointing.

Any help would be Greatly appreciated!
Thanks
DD

welcome.gif

You dont have to reinstall your OS when installing a new CPU...but you should clear your CMOS after installing a new CPU...this might be the reason for the low scores now...try clearing the CMOS and re-tweaking your system...

Something else I forgot to mention...what kind of cooling are you running and how is your case air flow?

Thank you for the reply! I did clear the CMOS after I installed the CPU, but I will try it again to be sure.

For cooling I have a Thermalcake Volcano 9 on the CPU, 2 case fans and the side panel is off with a window fan blowing into the case. Plus the ones that came with the MB, vid card and PS.

Back