• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this too hot???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

H@rdc0re

Registered
I did a torture test on my CPU last night and when I checked the temps in the BIOS it said 62.5c !!!!!!!

I nearly fell off my seat , im sure the cpu should have crapped out before it hit that sort of temp!

anyway my torture test was simple , Start Unreal Tournament , use my normal resolution (1024X768 16bit colour , all details on high) and add 300 bots !!!!!! lol
I then let them play their game of ctf for about 10mins.

my machine slowed down to a crawl , 6fps to be exact !!! lol
I tried to add 100 more but UT crashed , stating in the error that the maximum number of operations per second had been exceeded , ummmk I think the figure was 100,000,000!!
lol

anyway Is this sort of temp dangerous??

im sure it should have made my cpu crap itself but its still going strong.

Sorry I forgot to add that this temp rise only happened after I replaced my Gorb with the standard Intel heatsink/Fan combo , as everyone has told me that my Gorb is crap and that the standard Intel one is prolly better. Looks like they were wrong! lol

why use a Gorb, they still suck. Spend $20 on a Globalwin Fop 32-1. Those are some dangerous temps you are running.

Yep the original and the gorb are no good for a overclocked CPU. Your temps are screaming even for a original HSF. One trick i tried and have had a great amount of succes with is installing a duct from your HSF to your side case cover and this dropped temps down quite a bit as it draws cooler air in straight to your CPU. ive also heard that the original HSF would be better then a gorb i wonder if you lapped the original and used a good thermal compound if that would bring temps down to the same level as the gorb i'm just curious i know you need better cooling even if it brought temps down.

Yes those temps are dangerous!

goodluck

IM just saving some cash at the mo for a WBK38 jobby which has been recommended to me by a couple of mates that have got Athlon rigs.

lol , yeah as I thought , I am living on the edge with sort of temps huh?

lol

When I put my gorb back on and did the same test my temps didnt go above 42c but now for some reason my pc keeps crashing after about 5mins of UT :( and I have to reebot by pressing the reset button.

I have a nasty feeling that I have done something bad to the CPU by letting it get that hot! :(

anyway , I will do a bit of burning in tonight and see if that helps as it did the trick last time I had problems playing games at such a high fsb speed.

Back