• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a community mob change AMD's mind?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

Okay, this might very well be the stupidest idea ive ever suggested on these forums.

What if we all go out of our way to send a single email to AMD describing why we think they should unlock thir processors. Maybe include things about how we are such fans and how we really hate to see intel advancing on them etc etc.

Maybe if every single overclocker (although not a significant account of the market) maybe just maybe...

out of a disney-like miracle, they will decide to unlock their chips once again.

This would require alot of coordination and networking.

When everybody is honest then they will unlock them... there's a rash of dishonest PC retailers selling these chips as something they aren't... It is not in AMD's favor or the average PC buyer's favor to unlock chips... I don't blame them. And no they aren't concerned about 1% of their buyers... the overclocking community.

I'm surprised they were unlocked for as long as they were to be honest. Think about it, what does AMD get out of the locked multi? Nada, only people OC'ing (something that costs them money).

I am thrilled though that the A64's are made so you can drop the multi, that satisfies a large area of OC'ing since we know FSB > Clock speed (relativly) and in general with AMD I don't think we need huge multi's.

That's beside the point though, like I said, AMD gains nothing from unlocking them at all...

It does annoy me that they locked the mults but I don't blame them either. It cripples overclocking some what. My chip maxed out at 2.5 at 1.95 but my ram won't do it in sync so I'm limited by the RAM, wish I had a 12.5 mult. I wish there still is a way to unlock the chip like with the Palominos.

Will the PIN MOD allow for overclocking the Multiplier on these locked chips ?

Really, I don't wanna sound like captain obvious here, but WHY THE HELL DON'T THEY JUST PRINT THE CPU SPEED ON THE BLODDY CHIP SO THAT VENDORS CAN'T SCREW PEOPLE AND WE CAN STILL HAVE OUR FUN???

ProBoner said:
Really, I don't wanna sound like captain obvious here, but WHY THE HELL DON'T THEY JUST PRINT THE CPU SPEED ON THE BLODDY CHIP SO THAT VENDORS CAN'T SCREW PEOPLE AND WE CAN STILL HAVE OUR FUN???

Yeah! that as well as hard signature the chips so that in Windows properties & the BIOS it registers the Stock speed of the chip seperately while also signifying the Multi & and FSB. That way the "Dude get a Dell..Newbs!" can see where their hard earned cash went & us OC fanatics can still continue to play in the sand:D

I don't buy into the argument of..... "Well, the dishonest vendour out there will abuse the customer if AMD unlock their chips" camp. If AMD can hard lock their chips as well as they appear to have done with the newer desktop Bartons then I see NO reason why they wouldn't be able to do as I suggested above. Just a BS convenient argument from AMD corperate bean counters and the like, if you ask me.;)

They do print the speed on the chips (PR speed that is). I believe they've been doing that starting with the Athlon/Duron line.

This was the 1600+ that I sold a while ago, can you can clearly make out everything you need to know about that chip, at least most OC'ers can though I doubt it will be very helpful to joe sixpack.

proc2.jpg

The problem with printing the CPU speed on the chip is that 1. Most noobs don't know how to open their computer and if they did they wouldn't know where to look, 2. they will probably void the warrenty opening the pc, removing the heatsink and taking a look, and 3. if they were successful at doing all that they probably won't know what the numbers mean anyway. (The warrenty point is kind of moot, since if they can prove that the company lied and sold them an overclocked cpu then warrenty doesn't really matter.)

Back