• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why would I need wireless internet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malpine Walis

Disabled
I don't have any use for it at home since all my boxes are fairly close. However, I am looking at a new laptop and it seems as if a lot of them come with it by default.

Let's say that I have to fly somewhere and I have a long layover. Would it be enough to be in the airport or do I have to call ahead to get the secret code to get online? Ditto places like Starbucks and McDonalds.

Starbucks is on a Tmobile network. You have to pay to get a user name/password.

Didn't think Big D's had WLan.

The best part is at home, take it outside to work on the motorcycle or car, and download services manuals, or sit in a recliner and rock out on the internet.

Wireless owns. I love it in my laptop, but its pointless in desktops.

As for being able to access any wireless network you'll often need to have a WEP key to access their networks. You might also need other information such as the SSID when trying to access. This just depends on how the network is configured. They can also restrict access by making you authenticate on their server meaning that you'll have to have an account with them. There are a few places that offer WIFI to anyone, and all you have to do is show up and your computer will detect everything and connect automatically.

Most Airports do not offer free wireless net. But you can buy on a per day fee. most you can just sign up thru there login page which will just show up when you try to use a browser. A lot of hotels have free net as a perk for picking there hotel :D Have fun;)

Well when I went to Minneapolis last fall, I had to pay $15/day for wired DSL in my hotel room (but I got the same thing free in the convention center downstairs). However, I put it down as a business expense so I got it for free anyway. ;--)

So the only real advantage would be that I can take my notebook all over my house and still be connected then it seems.

I'm sitting outside on my patio smoking a cigar and drinking tea on my laptop.

I think wireless is pretty damned cool.

wireless is a must for a lap top

It can be used on a pc aswell, if your lazy to run all the cables. But a laptop with out wireless is no fun, you cant go outside with a 100foot wire, you might trip on it and die hehe.. :D

Back