• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD vs CRT questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brian Williams

Registered
Trying to decide on an lcd or new crt. I see that lcd's are limited by there resolution but what about contrast ratio? Is higher better? What is the contrast ratio of a CRT? I really want an LCD because this 19in is like 3ft deep :D I need more desk space. I am a gamer but mostly like the net and dvd-cd burning. Give me some suggestions. Really want to be able to play doom III and half life 2:eek:

I had been saving up to buy a 19in lcd, but after some serious research I found that for gaming, graphic design or video editing the lcd cannot compete with the crt's. So, I went out and spent half as much on a 19" crt monitor that I love. Granted, the crt is HUGE, but I was willing to make the sacrifice. I use a 17" lcd at work, and it works well for word processing and internet but when I have used it to play games (not while working) the graphics aren't anywhere near as good as the crt. But, lcd technology is getting better, but like any new technology you will have to pay for it. I would personally get a good crt.

I haven't personally used an apple lcd, but a friend of mine uses one and he is a graphic designer and he loves it. As far as gaming goes with the apple I don't know. But with anything apple comes a pretty hefty price tag, especially when you are wanting a 19" or bigger monitor.

Graphic design....isn't that more of a hardware rendering issue to put 1 still 3d image on the monitor? In other words LCD response time is really irrelevent...unless you wanna see that still image apear 3 or 4ms faster!

crt monitors show the colors better and more true than most lcd's, in graphic design this is important.

bluediamond said:
I haven't personally used an apple lcd, but a friend of mine uses one and he is a graphic designer and he loves it. As far as gaming goes with the apple I don't know. But with anything apple comes a pretty hefty price tag, especially when you are wanting a 19" or bigger monitor.

a 17in studio can be found on ebay for around $500. They seem like a pretty desent size. What about lcds with a contrast ratio of 750:1?

Remember, if you get an apple lcd you need a 100 dollar adc to dvi converter for it. Also, its response time is only 25ms. So that's a 600+ dollar 17" lcd. At that price you'd be better off with a samsung 191t+ which is 621 at newegg right now. If you don't mind a 25ms 17" lcd the samsung 173p is great. The 20ms hyundai Q17d is the best gaming lcd out there (if you can find a place that sells it). Or you could go for the one of the 16ms lcds out there. Go read some of the reviews on tomshardware, anandtech, and wherever else you can find them. Then you should be able to come to an excellent decision that fits you. :)

Yep, and that's why I only mentioned lcds that have dvi, heh. i would ignore any lcd you come across if it doesn't have dvi.

I'm not sure about the sceptre, but that dell uses the same panel as the samsung 191t/191t+/192t, nec 1980sx, and quite a few more. If you don't mind paying 10 dollars more for the samsung name (on newegg), or don't mind dell then I think you would be happy with that screen. Frys usually has a 191t on display, so I would suggest going down there and looking at that before you make your decision.

With LCD's that will get used for gaming you need to be below 20ms response time or image smearing will occur, especialy in FPS games like Halo. The criteria are response time, contrast ratio, refresh rate and dead pixel policy. NO LCD will be as good as a high-quality CRT monitor for gaming...at least not with current tech. View sonic has 16ms LCD's that are said to be as close to a CRT monitor as anything made at this point, but be prepaired to pay big bucks for the latest and greatest....

Under 20ms isn't necessary. It all depends on your eyes and tolerance levels. Also, the manufacturers rated response time isn't always everything. Any 17" Lcd using the 20ms HyDis panel exihibits far less blurring than any of the 16ms displays. Another interesting 19" monitor has appeared: the Samsung 193P.

Panel Type a-si TFT/PVA
Size 19"
Pixel Pitch (mm) 0.294
Brightness 250 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 800:1
Viewing Angle (H/V) 178/178
Response Time (ms) 20
Aspect Ratio 5:4
Interface Analog/Digital

If it's really a 20ms monitor and has 8-bit color maybe this will be as good as the famous 20ms/8-bit HyDis panel :D.

well, i think if you play games all the time, you have to buy a LCD...but sometimes i think LCD's colour seems not good....

Brian Williams said:
what about the apple lcd's? apple pc's are built for graphic designs and the flat panels are pretty nice.

That's simply a misconception. The main thing Macs are used for in the media industry is video editing and music.

Back