• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to overclock celeron 500(mendocino)???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arsenalfc

i've managed to overclock my celeron 500 to 563 by changing the fsb from 66 to 73.is there another way???

need help....

Nope and 600 MHz is about the most you'll probably get out of that obsolete CPU, even with excellent cooling.

Hi,
I've OCed and old Celeron 466 of a friend upping the Fsb @75 rock stable(better then 73 that is a non standard freq.), but @83 it freezes.

But remember that it's dangerous coz the Pci clock increase too much, and especially with older HD you can have more problems like Fat corruption!

Batboy say right, it's better to replace it with a more OCable Celeron 2 600 and reach easly 900Mhz :)

The celeron 500 is a poor overclocker, but 75 should be stable as the prior post indicates (and I've personally experienced having owned one).

Almost every Celeron should run 100% solid at 75Mhz and with default voltages! This gets you a 37.5Mhz PCI/IDE which will increase systemwide performance if your peripheral cards are upto it. But most quality stuff is upto it. The only thing with the Mendocino core is that it's full-speed cache maxes out around 550Mhz. Thus a 500@75FSB runs at 562.5Mhz which is on the edge. I have run a 400SEPP at 75 for 1.5 years without any problems at all. I wouldn't (yet) exactly call the Mendocino's obsolete! You'd be amazed how smooth my old 400SEPP still runs at 450/75 on my current mobo with lots of CL2 RAM and a ATA66 7200rpm HDD, especially when you're just browsing the web, and running office software these baby's can still rock!

Now for the good news, you can buy a fc-pga celly 600 and a slocket for less than 100 bucks to your door and get 900 out of it.

arsenalfc (Jun 17, 2001 04:40 p.m.):
i've managed to overclock my celeron 500 to 563 by changing the fsb from 66 to 73.is there another way???

need help....

Lancelot (Jun 18, 2001 04:21 p.m.):
Almost every Celeron should run 100% solid at 75Mhz and with default voltages! This gets you a 37.5Mhz PCI/IDE which will increase systemwide performance if your peripheral cards are upto it. But most quality stuff is upto it. The only thing with the Mendocino core is that it's full-speed cache maxes out around 550Mhz. Thus a 500@75FSB runs at 562.5Mhz which is on the edge. I have run a 400SEPP at 75 for 1.5 years without any problems at all. I wouldn't (yet) exactly call the Mendocino's obsolete! You'd be amazed how smooth my old 400SEPP still runs at 450/75 on my current mobo with lots of CL2 RAM and a ATA66 7200rpm HDD, especially when you're just browsing the web, and running office software these baby's can still rock!
You said something about the volts which brings me to a question how many Vio volts is too much I am running at default which is 3.3 and I am thinking of going to 3.5 is that to much?

A lot of mainboards already default higher to assure extra stability and to deal with margins between various components. My Abit board defaults to 3.5Vio and Asus defaults to 3.45Vio. Officially it should be 3.3Vio, but if we take into account the general safe overclockers rule of 10% you can go upto 3.6 without a lot of risk, but I would recommend to take care of your chipset cooling and at least apply some thermal paste to it's little heatsink. When you are OCing and upping you Vcore doesn't help anymore, sometimes upping your Vio can do the trick. But be careful, you can't just keep upping Voltages without taking care of your (case)cooling! More Volt is more heat, and more heat gets more instability!

Back