• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you guys think of an Antec Power Supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaser

What do you guys think of an Antec Power Supply?

Im thinking of getting one sleeved from performance-pcs.com are they good qualities? what are your good/bad expieriences with them? gimme info plz :)

Antec (CWT) is my number 3 favorite PSU make behind Fortron (#2) and PC Power & Cooling (#1). They have a very good track record of providing reliable PSU's that provide good power. My suggestions for Antec would be any of the Truepowers above 430w - under 380w or so the Antec units start getting a little on the weak side for overclockers.

As for good experiences, I've had one Antec 350w and one CWT 420w (CWT is the actual manufacturer of all recent Antecs - there have been a few HEC Antecs in the pp days), and have had experience with 3 other CWT units ranging from 250w to 375w. None have ever failed, and the oldest is the 250w at 5 years old.

Bad experiences - none really. The 420w needed the fan replaced once, and that's about it. I've been impressed by the reliability of all 5 of these CWT made units, though only the 420w has proven to be really good for heavy overclocking. The only actual Antec unit, the SL350 - is still purring like a kitten in my parents' system.

One aspect I really like about the TruPower line of PSUs is that the power regulation tolerance is 3% rather than the industry standard of 5% so there's less voltage fluctuation.

~THT

i have had aweseome experiences with antec psu's in the past, i bought one b4 that came with an old-*** antec case and it runs totally stable on my bro's comp that i built for him

it was a pp-303xp one of the old smart power supplies, b4 the solution series

I've had very good experiences with Antec PSUs as well. I've used them in every system built for someone else to date, and they've all run fine. Might not be the best bang for the buck, but you can't really go wrong with one either.

It will blow warm air out the back since the fans run slow. For me that's good or bad depending on what time of the year it is. I have good insulation and if left on all the time in the winter it keeps me from having to heat my computer room.

I'm pleased with all my Antec PSUs - 300W, 350W, and now 480W. The 350W is actually handling my secondary aircooled OC fine, although granted I'm not pushing it that hard.

I believe the fans on my TrueBlue 480W (92mm intake on bottom, 80mm exhaust out back) are temperature-controlled, and they run at slow rpms and the air they push is always quite hot.. I have considered replacing them with standard fans so they will push higher cfms all the time. The main concern I have is selecting two fans with cfms that are relatively balanced. Why they decided to pair two unequal-sized fans is beyond me.

The Antec is a good choice. I plan on upgrading to a nice Antec True-Control 550 W this summer. Also the Antecs beat out the supposed ultimate PS the PC power and cooling PS in the latest Tom's article.

Toms Article

Plus if you get the True-Control you get that neat control panel for it.

my fans became loud as well after 5 months.

not so happy. enermax is just as good so is forton and VANTEC.

dont limit your choice by what people always buy. Antec used to be the best but between the top brands there is as good as no difference

I'm running an Antec True-Control 550W in my rig right now and it is awesome! There are only a few mods that I am thinking of doing to it though ... Reverse the intake fan so it blows out, then flip it upside down and have the new exhaust (on the bottom) blow out a blowhole on the top of my case. Other than that, the only other thing I could think of is to mount the control circuit somewhere else. Right now it takes up an entire 5.25 bay.

Very good experience with Antec also, no complaints about it

About the hot air and low RPM fans: I think the fans on TruePower are variable speed fans that adapt their speed to the temperature reading of some sensor. The PSU runs a little hotter than others but this allows it to be very silent.

About the hot air and low RPM fans: I think the fans on TruePower are variable speed fans that adapt their speed to the temperature reading of some sensor. The PSU runs a little hotter than others but this allows it to be very silent.

Bingo.
The antec rep posted on that once. They run at a minimum speed necessary to keep it running efficiently and stay quiet, thus the warm air under load.

i have a antec trueblue 480W. i haven't had a single problem with it - it works great and is very stable.

Yeah I just upgraded my system and realized my Fortron 300 Watt just could not give me stable enough rails to overclock my Barton 2600+. So I went and got a TP 380 and the rails do not even budge, I love it.

Probably the only brand I will purchase from now on

Yeah, I figured they were temperature-controlled fans. I'd still rather they run faster and cooler since I have nosier case fans all over the place anyway. I've already voided my warranty by modding my TrueBlue 480, so I'll probably replace them sometime.

Back