• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard limits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

i have a PIII 600ECoppermine....its running at 780....im planning to get appropriate cooling(any suggestions, right now, ihave one in my power, one in the case, and an aluminum heatsink with CPU Fan
), as well i was wondering, my ASUS P3V4X mobo says it has a limit of 800 MHZ PIII-Celeron chips, but if i overclock the CPU to over that will it still work stably?...because ive seen people get over a gigahurtz, and im willing to spend 30 bucks on cooling if i could save 200 on a CPU....PIII 600E, ASUS P3V4X, ATI Rage Fury Pro ,128SDRAM

There a no guaratees that your cpu/system will run stable at 1ghz. It might or might not you will just have to try :(

Placid is rite also consider this if you buy a really good HSF you can always use it on your next PC overclocked systems can be tempermental when it comes to heat if my PC gets 3C hotter then where it is now it will become unstable.

Bios revisions change what the top rating of a mobo is as they add in the info to id new cpu's as they come out. It really doesn't even matter at all because the multipier in the cpu is locked. For example 1 of my BP6's with dual 366's running at 572 only shows dual 500's on the post screen! thats all the bios can recognise. But once W2K is loaded all benchmarks + the OS report 572 and the benches do show the increased speed to. So don't wotty about it just increase the fsb and you should be fine. Any instability is more likely the result of pushing the cpu beyond it's limits or you need more voltage/cooling. Also dont rule out the chipset, memory, and cards as factors that can limit your fsb.

Back