• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SCSI and SATA help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

domstar

Im looking at upgrading from muy bog standard IDE drive and was intednding to setup an SCSI setup for my IDE drives. However I know absolutely nothing really about SCSI or SATA. I have an Abit NF7 board and so im assuming that for an SCSI setup I'd need a bootable SCSI card and harddrive. But is SATA removing SCSI as the faster and stabler option. How does SATA work and what would I need for it? Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers,
DoM

SATA is not faster, nor is it more stable than SCSI. It is however easier for an end-user to install and configure because the cables are smaller, it requires no setting of LUN ID's, and is generally faster than standard IDE.

SCSI is still by far the fastest and most time-proven in terms of reliability and mean time between failure. However, it's also the most expensive too :) You likely don't need the speed of SCSI for a home computer, unless you're one of those killer benchmark folks...

If you compare an SATA and an IDE drive of generally equal specifications (7200 RPM, 80gb, 8mb cache) you will usually find they are fairly equal in performance. SATA is differentiating itself by manufacturers putting faster overall drives on the SATA platform. You won't find a 10,000 RPM standard IDE drive easily, but there are several 10,000 RPM SATA drives available right now.

Im looking at buying a bottable SCSI card fom ebay as my nf7 doesnt not support SCSI on board. I the need to loook for an SCSI drive( which may prove diffacult). I have no SATA support on my board either, card you use a card for this as with sCSI?
Dominic

You bet, there are several different SATA cards out there -- some are cheap, some are expensive, some are great and some aren't ;) As you would for anything else, do some research before you make any rash buying decisions...

Back