• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

probobly a few dumb TEC - Copper question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Mr_B=-

I still havent been getting my behind out of the chair on this tec i got, now i figure i need some more advice.. the CPU is smaller then the tec, not much but still, Tec is 40mm, cpu seams to be about 30, lacking qualified tools for measuring... Its a P4E 2,8Ghz.. First of im having doubts it will do any good there at all, and secondly i need something to lead all the heat from the cpu, to the coldplate.. right? Copper then, silver aint happening in my world. How thick should it be? im going to have it milled to fit the cpu, leaving a edge around it, so it "cant" get displaced, and do the same to the top, where the tec will go.Im guessing i will need a copper plate here aswell, as the cooler seams to have some odd shapes to "fit" the cpu.. crappy brand stuff i guess...

Is it worth trying at all, or should i just throw it away, what thikness is minnimum on the copper, to have it actually do any good spreading the heat effectivly... ?

Thanks for all sugestions.

(Btw, no, i have NO idea what rating the tec has, i know its from a cooler / heater for trucks, and it has a blue stamp, and the number 12707 on it, the stamp might read "GB" but im not sure.. hard to tell)
B!

A cold plate should be between 1/4"-3/8"

If you do not know what the TEC is rated at you are best to either figure that out, or not use it. You run the risk of damaging a good amount of equipment if you feed it the wrong voltage. or too much voltage. Plus its probally undersized for a P4. You should be looking into soemthing in the 226w range, which I highly doubt that is.

i do know its a 12v Pelt, i just dont know what wattage it can handle...and 1/4"-3/8" is aprox 6-7 mm ?

More and more sounds i got a tec sutable for a soundcard, or perhaps a memory on my Radeon... Oh well, trash that idea, and start planing something else.. perhaps i can OC my old 800 Celeron a bit more.. Um, no, the mobo dosent realise what im trying to tell it.. i gota think about this, big thanks.
B!

yeah a 40*40 mm tec is most certainly rated for 169 watts or less. If you have the part # of it or even who made it we can find out the exact specs, But it will not even come close to workign with a p4e.

All i got is the number mentiond b4, so i guess i will have the last set up TEX coolec Celeron... To bad i dont have any way of measuring the temp on that one... Oh well, stability will tell if its good or bad, and if it dies.. tough luck.

Thanks guys n' girls
B!

a 40x40mm tec could also be rated even blow 72 watts, youll not know.

A 10-12mm cold plate is optimal.(3/8"-1/2")

Jon

What else would a low power tec be good for? if it cant keep up, no use for it.. so for bragging rights or something... *- )
B!

Back