• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Printing over the internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

druidelder

Here is the situation:

Two private networks in different physical locations using W2KPro exclusively. IP address at both locations is static from ISP.

Machine in private network A uses Timbuktu to connect to machine in private network B. The system that is connected to in network B has an internal static IP address (port forwarding set up for Timbuktu Pro). Systems in network A have reserved IP addresses internally.

The person accessing the system in network B from the location of network A would like to print locally. However, Timbuktu does not support remote system to local printing.

So, I set up file/printer sharing on network A. Forwarded TCP/IP & UDP ports 515, 631, and 9100 to system in net work A with printer attached.

Printing works great inside private network A. The machine in network B can connect to the shared printer folder, but no printers are found. Obviously I am not going about this the right way.

I am aware that this could be done through Terminal Services/Active Directory/Remote Desktop if there were a W2KServer running, but there isn't. I also know that this could be done with a hardware print server, but that's not likely to happen either.

Is there a way to accomplish the task without third party software/OS upgrade/additional hardware/different remote access software? Or more simply, is there a way to access a printer on private network A from private network B using W2KPro exclusively?

Basic layout:

Attachments

• network.jpg
    network.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 46
Yes. There is a way.
Just create a VPN through the Internet between both routers (they have to support VPN creation of course).
In that way you don´t even need port fowarding, because both networks can "talk" to each other.

I'll have to take a look at the routers and see. I'm going to guess atleast one, if not both, are not VPN routers though. One is a newer, but cheap, DLink. The other is an older (at least a couple of years) Linksys.

[EDIT]It looks as though they may both support VPNs. I will look into that then.[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Back