• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.8c (sl6z5)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emerald

Registered
P4 2.8c (sl6z5) voltage question

hi!

some weeks ago i bought a p4-sys (it's my first intel-sys^^), and a read alot in this forum about northwoods ... but i don't know what's maximum voltage for a P4 2.8C (SL6Z5) or generally
northwood seen for a long time or "forever" ?
( sorry for that strange sentence but i don't know how to formulate my thoughts in english :rolleyes: )

I would say the absolute max would be 1.7V, but that is with really good air cooling. I don't like to go above 1.6V, but that is just me. Stay below 1.7V and you should be ok.

i've got a good air cooling (hard to believe but with a intel boxed cooler)
mhm i'm not sure because the bios of my p4p800 offers a VCore up to 1.85V, what's ofcourse too much for a longtime :(

I'd say you wouldnt EVER wanna go above 1.65v, anything above requires luck not to damage to CPU. Unless you are a serious o/c'er with a Prometia hooked up. It's absolutely not neccessary. PERIOD.

I know several successful 4+Ghz o/c'ers that have either gone max 1.65~ish, or even dropped the volt from stock! p4c's simply don't need anymore than 1.6v~ seriously. They choke, if they are higher on o/c it's not the extra volting that is helping most likely.

If, for some reason, you go above the 1.65~1.7 it should never ever be for a long time. The technology is simply to fragile to handle that kind of juice. It's physics that decided that, not luck or o/c ability.

Back