• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF1942 is really starting to **** me off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
System specs are in my sig. Right now, I'm running slightly overclocked, but everything is completely Prime95 Priority 10 stable. Battlefield 1942 keeps crashing randomly to the desktop during gameplay, you usually about 20 minutes (enough time to start doing well) into a game. I've literally tried everything. I reinstalled the entire game, left out Road to Rome and Desert Combat, still crashing. Reinstalled the latest patch, it still crashes. Tried the CPU and graphics cards at default settings, 4 different sets of ATi drivers, two graphics cards, 256mb and 512mb of memory, different memory timings, changing AGP aperature from 128 to 256mb, disabling APIC, additional cooling, underclocking...and the freaking thing just won't work. It ALWAYS crashes back to the desktop a little of the way in. Nothing's overheating - it's all watercooled. I've spent hours searching Google for answers...and I don't know what else to do.

Can anyone PLEASE help me out?

This happened before the 1.6 patch, which was when there was no Punkbuster. I'm pretty sure it happens in both, but not totally sure it happens in single play. Last time I tested it I experienced crashes in both modes, but I'll go try single play again to be extra sure.

All the servers online use punkbuster...if I disable it then I won't be able to access any of them, will I?

what about your pagefile up that like crazy and see if that works, bf is memory hungry

I'll give that a try, I was considering that possibility.

In single player it still crashes, but gives me this error first (viewed through event viewer)

Faulting application bf1942.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module bf1942.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0016c454.

I'd also try to disable fast rights and the vpu recoverer in the display settings, Causes all sorts of problems in COD.

Already disabled VPU Recover. Changed fast writes on and off in the BIOS and Smartgart with no success.

I think I do remember hearing somewhere that even if something is Prime95 stable that doesn't mean it BF1942 stable. BF1942 is one of the most CPU intense games out there even on my AMD 3200+ I still get 100% CPU Usage and I can't play winamp in the background like I can in other games. Try backing off the OC a little bit and see if that helps.

Already tried backing off the OC 50mhz from a Prime95 stable clock while raising the voltage. I can drop it more, I guess, but...hmm. Maybe I'll just up the voltage too.

Put everything to stock, and the memory to 166, and up your page file to atlest 900 megs, normally I would leve it at 600 or so, but you only have 512MB of ram (as do I). Call of duty would crash on me and say (out of mem) when I had mine at about 600 so I raised it to 900, Have you tried to run in normal mode instead of dual channel??(assuming you are running dual channel.)

Ah...is nothing sacred??? That's like...impossible to do. Sigh...I hate it, but I'll see how it goes. What bugs me is that I shouldn't have to do this to make it run. BTW, it still crashes with a 1000mb pagefile.

Hi there, i had the same problem. I could get max 30min into BF1942 DC, before pc crashed to desktop. I did not have a problem in any of my other games. I tryed every driver i could get my hands on, i even got a new Cpu and memory... Nothing helped.

I was really ****ed off, that i ended up Formating HD, and after a clean install all has been running Great.

I can fully understand your frustration here.

oo_7

Yeah, Norton AV and Norton Firewall are both installed. Disabling firewall didn't help, but clocking my CPU back down seemed to. I guess it's just BF1942 being overly memory/CPU intensive. Stupid...:(

when you uninstalled the game, did you make sure to delete the folder from program files? if you dont, it will not overwrite some files

Back