• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I be able to tell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mc_hammer

Registered
Right now I have a 1600+ that is stubborn @ 1.53. I'm not sure if my MOBO is the problem or if it is the CPU. I was thinking of getting a 2500+ Mobile, but will I see much of a real world performance boost even if I get say 2.3GHZ minimum. I mostly play Desert Combat and it runs fairly smoothly @ 1152x864 32-bit. Otherwise, I surf and download. So the million dollar question is should I plop down $100 for the Mobile or just save and wait for a 64 this summer. Thanks.

Setup:
A7N8X-Deluxe v1.4
XP 1600+ @1.53
512 MB OCZ 3500
9700 Pro
Danger Den Maze 3

Is your 1600+ unlocked and running at 200+FSB?

If so, you won't get a ton of improvement. Most improvement goes from upping the FSB and DDR speeds. Example:
My 2100+ gained very little going from 1.8 to 2Ghz keeping the bus speed at 133. But 2Ghz at 200FSB gave a significant improvement.
Here's Quake3 framerates:
1800/133: 170
2000/133: 178
2000/200: 207

Still, an almost 1Ghz gain even at the same FSB should be noticeable. Your cpu is probably limiting factor right now; at 2.3Ghz your 9700Pro will become the bottleneck especially if you run with AA/AF enabled.

No my FSB is at 133. Everytime I bump the FSB I can't start up. I tried to unlock it awhile ago but was unsuccesful. So I'm not sure if it is the CPU that is holding me back or the MOBO, as the Memory should be more than adaquete to hit 200.

Well, assuming the new cpu will be unlocked, you should see a huge jump in performance with the Mhz plus the added memory bandwidth.

Keep in mind AA/AF effectively eliminates much of the gain you'd see. When I put on 4XAA/8XAF, I get the same frames whether I'm at 1800/133 or 2000/200. Depends on the game, more complex games will be more pronounced; older games will still show a good jump in speeds.

Thanks Timzak. My framerates are pretty good as is, so is there any other area that I could see improvement like loading times. I know that a faster hard drive would speed load times but does the processor have any effect? But FPS is good too, don't get me wrong.

IMHO, if you get a XP-M 2500+, and run it to an ALMOST guarunteed 2400mhz(if not more), you'll see mucho change from your 133fsb 1600+(i don't care what it's oc'd to)

just my opinion/educated guess

What did you run before you got your 2500+ Mobile Molester? By the way I'm from Fort Worth. :D

Going from 1.53ghz @ 133fsb. to at least 2.4ghz @ 200fsb will give you a huge boost in DC, I also play DC and I think its worth the money especially in your situation. you have an awesome setup except your CPU is way underpowered compared to the rest of your system. I mean... why do you even have 3500 memory? Why do you have a A7N8X? If you dont plan on getting at least 200fsb and using that memory and that northbridge to its fullest.

I would recommend it big time. Heck Im running great but I bought a 2500+ mobile because I enjoy overclocking.

You will not regret getting the 2500+ mobile.

IR1 said:
Going from 1.53ghz @ 133fsb. to at least 2.4ghz @ 200fsb will give you a huge boost in DC, I also play DC and I think its worth the money especially in your situation. you have an awesome setup except your CPU is way underpowered compared to the rest of your system. I mean... why do you even have 3500 memory? Why do you have a A7N8X? If you dont plan on getting at least 200fsb and using that memory and that northbridge to its fullest.

I would recommend it big time. Heck Im running great but I bought a 2500+ mobile because I enjoy overclocking.

You will not regret getting the 2500+ mobile.

My sentiments exactly... it probably won't do much for you, but it will be noticeable and it will be totally kickin... sell the 1600+ for like $40-$50 on ebay and you're halfway there... not too bad...

Back