• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Now this is password security

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow. That's what I call security.

Anybody got a good 18770 character password that's easy to remember? I'm fresh out... :D
JigPu

Department of Ripley's Believe it or Not:

No, that is a real system message and it is actually accurate. The MIT Kerberos system sets passwords on both a per-session basis and a per transaction basis. The requirements are stringent so that there is virtually no chance of hacking them even with cracking software running on a Beowulf system.

Well it is sort of a bug. Kerberos is supposed to hide in the background so that the end user doen't know that it is there. But the passwords are really that complex.

As far as paranoia goes, the fact is that lots of damage is done to large networks by those on the inside. In a certain sense Kerberos is more secure than a firewall. In fact some Kerberos supported networks do not even have a firewall as it doesn't really add anything to the system.

You do not need to remember it. Your computer needs to remember it. That is the bug that get fixed with the SP upgrade. And actually, your computer only needs to remember it until it expires. For the session key that is untill you log off. For the transaction key that is only untill the current request has been completed.

Those aren't user passwords. Just kerberos tickets or keys. Alot less impressive or notworthy since it isn't a password.

Finally! someone who undersatnds Keberos! Thanks XWRed1. I have been going off of an article in Scientific American that I read a few years ago and I must be misremembering details.

Unfortunately, google does not seem to have a lot of info on the subject. How are tickets and keys different from passwords?

I don't really know much about kerberos. But it's obvious that isn't a password a user is meant to remember. It was said it is for a computer to remember, which isn't that impressive cause that kind of stuff happens all the time.

Kerberos has some sort of ticket system to telling if you are allowed to use a resource. I can't sit here and tell you the anatomy of a ticket, but tickets and keys will be primarily different from a password because they are for the computers and not the users. The password is likely what generates or identifies a ticket/key, while the ticket or key is what flies over the wire.

Back