• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Danner Mag 3 or MCP600 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Charloz24

Wich one do you recommend to me? I'm looking for head pressure because of my white water. The swiftech cost a little more, but is 12V.

It is sure that the iwaki md-15R or md-20rlzt interrest me, but I'm unable to find it in Canada and are costly....

Help me! :)

AngryAlpaca said:
Mag 3. All standard pumps have essentially the same performance.
wtf ?
as do all wbs ?
how about all rads having "essentially the same performance" ?

hey, this works with words too; they all have essentially the same meaning

be cool

That idea is based on your works, largely. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263209&highlight=Cathar+pump http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/basum.asp with a WW, the difference in flow between the 1250 (Low end performance) and the Mag 3 (High end performance) is 1.5LPM, between 7LPM and 8.5LPM, and, based upon your flow/performance graph, the difference is around 0.0025C/W or maybe up to 0.005C/W, which is practically unmeasurable. Now, if we factor in the increased amount of heat from the Mag 3, the difference is even smaller. I consider a WW/Procore with 1/2" standard, and that is what I use when talking about pumps.

AngryAlpaca said:
That idea is based on your works, largely. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263209&highlight=Cathar+pump http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/basum.asp with a WW, the difference in flow between the 1250 (Low end performance) and the Mag 3 (High end performance) is 1.5LPM, between 7LPM and 8.5LPM, and, based upon your flow/performance graph, the difference is around 0.0025C/W or maybe up to 0.005C/W, which is practically unmeasurable. Now, if we factor in the increased amount of heat from the Mag 3, the difference is even smaller. I consider a WW/Procore with 1/2" standard, and that is what I use when talking about pumps.

Head pressure mang....

Edit: Id go with a Mag3 since price difference is fairly high... But you wont be sad with either of em..

What about the head pressure? I have never seen a graph that compares head pressure to performance, only flow to performance, and head pressure/head pressure drop to flow. Admittedly, the difference grows with more blocks, but really, no pump, excepting the MD20RLZT will get beyond 2GPM, but all of them will get to 1GPM...

Head pressure given the same flow rate... Mag3 and 1250 will be greatly different.

I mean dont get me wrong... they are both great pumps. If you have a WW, GPU block, NB block, a rad, I think a pump with greater head pressure will help more(Mag3). If you just have a free flowing wb and a rad then 1250 will do the job. Hence saying that all the pumps are same kindda bothers me. I think it really depends on what your setup is.

So at the same flow rate, with the same amount of heat, the head pressure will make the Mag 3 better? I've never seen any testing done on this, and I've always sort've assumed that the only thing that head pressure does is allow you a higher flow. I think you have to go into the high restriction zone to find a major difference, but most people stick with medium to low resistance blocks. A WhiteWater has 1.5 ftH2O head loss at 1GPM, and a Silverprop GPU block has approximately 18" drop also (Actually, this is based upon their CPU block, but they're designed the same) and someone would be a fool to get a NB block with a pressure drop greater than 10 or 12" at 1GPM. That's 4 feet drop, and let's add on 6" for the tubing. So, we have 4.5' drop, at 1GPM, and the Eheim 1250 delivers that easily, and the Mag 3 gets that easily as well. Neither of them will make it to 2GPM. Now, based upon testing done by BillA, the difference between 1GPM and 2GPM is very small, and with even less of a difference between the flow rates, the temperature difference is small, possibly even negligible... *Is surprised at yet another realization*

Edit: Ugh... I'm not thinking right today, but I think it's still fairly accurate.

I wouldn't trust ANY data on the Mag-3. Danner is notorious for "upgrading" the data of their pumps. Most often they do this my measuring the output w/ a 1" outlet - too bad they have a 1/2" outlet.

Given the choice & if $$$ isn't an issue take the MCP600.

If you go with the Mag as i did. I still found the price better getting it through mail order form the US.

Mag3

The only place I found it in the Toronto area was Big Al's and it was $155, I got mine with shipping and duty it cost me $92 not to shabby. If i had thought of it I would have sent it to a freind in the US and had them send it marked as a gift to save the duty ;)

I can get the danner mag for 85$ in a online store in Canada and 105$ for the mcp600 on bigfootcomputers.

So that is why I was wondering is it worth 20$ more to take the mcp600?

MCP 600 is expensive. That's its only problem. It also uses 12V DC power, and I've heard complaints about it before.

and I've heard complaints about it before
I think they've resolved the issues by changing a bearing (BillA could answer better). I beleive all the "new" ones are running fine.

Back