• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Occasional Freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich25

Got a minor problem here. I am having intermittent freezing issues, typically once every 3 or 4 days. It happens sometimes at boot, sometimes when accessing a file, sometimes opening a site, and sometimes when starting a program. The HDD activity light stays on until I manually shut it off or reset it. Temp and voltages appear normal in bios. This has happened ever since the comp has been built. Norton antivirus has been installed and updated, however it will not get through a full system scan without freezing, scandisk has been run and found no errors. Any ideas would be great. Here are the details

1800+ @ Stock
old Epox 8KHA Board
512 pc2100 generic ram
Geforce 3
WD 8mb 120gb ide drive
WD 8mb 80gb ide drive (attached but not formatted as of yet, soon to be SUSE drive)
SB Live 5.1 Card
Truepower 380 PSU
2000 pro SP4

Thanks

Rich

Could maybe be your ram try running www.memtest86.com. Maybe your unformatted HD is not being recognized or causing it to freeze up somehow try formatting it or disconnecting it for the time being. Try running a different virus scan program and see if it freezes with it. www.trendmicro.com then go to products, housecall. Are you sure you have all drivers installed say for the mobo vid card sound card all the essentials. Good luck

abitavenger

I've seen the same problem over here... I'd love to know what causes it !

memtest can be run for 48 hours with no errors. The system can be on 24/7, with plenty of activity. It just happens out of no where, and the HD activity stays on. I

I'm running a 2.4c at 3.3, and I haven't had the problem since I upped my vcore..hopefully that's what it is

Back