Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

Ppl trying to hack the network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-28-04, 11:02 AM Thread Starter   #1
Little DeViL

Ppl trying to hack the network

Ok...

A couple of friends of mine are trying to hack the school network. My network is based around Novell.

They have been using a program called Cain&Able to get hold of ppls hashs and use them to get the persons password.

There are also trying other ways. The problem is that they tend to try and use my machine as the gunie pig, which i think aint that cool.

Now, I was wondering if there is anything that you guyz can suggest. I know that I should use firewalls and make my passwords hard to crack and that.

But what firewalls should I use. Ive changed all my passwords to more than 10 characters. Also, is there a way to change my IP address without having to restart my computer.

I know these guyz, and they dont hold back when trying things on other ppl. All help is greatly appreciated
Little DeViL is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-28-04, 11:39 AM   #2
nebben

Maybe tell your friends to f@!@#! off?

-ben
nebben is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-28-04, 11:43 AM Thread Starter   #3
Little DeViL

Thanx.. I will try that <_<

Helpful advice would be appreicated
Old 02-28-04, 12:06 PM   #4
nebben

What OS are you using? If you're using Linux or something like it, you'll need to lock stuff down. If you're using XP or something equivalent, you'll need to turn off any services you're not using (right click my comp/manage/services). I'd also recommend getting a NAT router or something to help keep people away.

A password should have letters/numbers to be highly effective. Also, a password is useless if it is being transmitted over a network without encryption. For example- FTP and Telnet aren't secure.

-ben
Old 02-28-04, 12:09 PM Thread Starter   #5
Little DeViL

Quote:
Originally posted by nebben
What OS are you using? If you're using Linux or something like it, you'll need to lock stuff down. If you're using XP or something equivalent, you'll need to turn off any services you're not using (right click my comp/manage/services). I'd also recommend getting a NAT router or something to help keep people away.

A password should have letters/numbers to be highly effective. Also, a password is useless if it is being transmitted over a network without encryption. For example- FTP and Telnet aren't secure.

-ben
OS is XP

edit: also, how do i know what services to stop...
Old 02-28-04, 12:58 PM   #6
SniperXX

Just dont let them have physical access. You will need that for cain and able. You cant stop them once they get the hash except for chagning the password. You cant get it due to windows and dos not letting u copy the file they need in windows. They would have to use knoppix (to steal ur hash) if they cant get logged in as admin.

So dont let them get physical access, also dont use words found in the dictionary, those are crackable w/ in 3min on a 2Ghz rig with 512MB ram or more. Use made up words with a few numbers for your pass.

6GB Crucial Dominator 1600
Crucial 750TX

Help find cures for cancer by running Folding @ Home.

HEATWARE
SniperXX is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-28-04, 03:39 PM   #7
OKJEFF4

I always used to use the names of poems. Those idiots will never know. "Bandersnatch"... So easy.
OKJEFF4 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-28-04, 04:07 PM   #8
diggingforgold

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by SniperXX
Just dont let them have physical access.
Why don't your friends use their computers. Maybe because they don't want to get caught. Tell them "no" and it will all be taken care of.
diggingforgold is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-28-04, 04:10 PM   #9
SniperXX

Or if your bios has it, use a password boot. My 8RDA had a boot option where you had to type in a password on the keyboard for it to boot.

Crucial 750TX

HEATWARE
Old 02-28-04, 04:31 PM   #10
L337 M33P

Those are fairly easy to circumvent. Resetting the CMOS or pulling out the battery will reset the password. If you don't want them getting on your computer then put a BIOS password on it and lock the case. If it doesn't have a lock then either replace the case bolts or glue em up or something.

As for password security, Windows XP has a feature where you can lock the workstation if you are away - press Winkey+L. Also make your passwords long, with odd characters in like an & or .

For a firewall, get Kerio Personal Firewall. You can password-protect the prog from being turned off. And it logs almost everything
L337 M33P is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-28-04, 04:58 PM   #11
Shuruga2

to try and change your ip (this worked on my rez network i think)
from command (or run?)
ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig /renew

Old 02-28-04, 05:09 PM   #12
SniperXX

Shuruga2- What that just does is get a new IP from the DHCP. You will just usually get the same IP if the lease isnt up.

Like M33P said just use a few ASCII characters in your password then they will have a hard time getting your password. Also, change it frequently too.

Crucial 750TX

HEATWARE
Old 02-29-04, 12:55 AM   #13
nebben

I've had some time to think about it, and I'm sticking to what I said in the first place. I think I'd kick some friend @ss too.

Atomic wedgie at least.

-ben
Old 02-29-04, 02:13 PM   #14
Lord_Zoltan

Quote:
Originally posted by L337 M33P
... Also make your passwords long, with odd characters in like an & or ...
THat is so sweet, i did not know you can use ascii for passwords! awsome!!

Thanks

Zoltan
Lord_Zoltan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-02-04, 12:59 PM   #15
v8440

How about if you just bitch slap these retards for being stupid? Or, turn their asses in? Am I the only one who thinks the problem here isn't technical in nature (how to keep them from cracking passwords), but human instead (re-educating the idiots to keep them from f*cking up in the first place)?

fsb at 480 MHz
2 gig crucial ballistix 800MHz ddr2 at 470 MHz
8800 Ultra at default speeds
4 320 mb perp drives in matrix raid 0/10
pc p & c 750w power supply
v8440 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-02-04, 05:15 PM   #16
Lord_Zoltan

Quote:
Originally posted by v8440
How about if you just bitch slap these retards for being stupid? Or, turn their asses in? Am I the only one who thinks the problem here isn't technical in nature (how to keep them from cracking passwords), but human instead (re-educating the idiots to keep them from f*cking up in the first place)?
Ya i would agree on the turn them in..but i mean its hard to turn your friends in...
IF you have the guts you could blackmail the Fu*k out of them - muahahahaha

Zoltan
Lord_Zoltan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-02-04, 08:14 PM   #17
SniperXX

If they were my friends I would prolly chew them out if they touched my comp w/o asking, lol. We all got a rule about that, lol. I would tho give them a talking to since what they want to do is just stupid. Also, ASCII characters work great for passwords and make them harder to crack, they still will be crackable no matter what but it will take considerably longer. I hear a 24/7 week or more, lol.

Crucial 750TX

HEATWARE
Old 03-02-04, 08:21 PM   #18
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

www.blackviper.com

Go there for some help on services and disable everything you do not need. My setup is almost supertweaked, but with you being on the network there will be somethings you want to keep.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-03-04, 12:11 PM Thread Starter   #19
Little DeViL

Didnt see anything there that would help me... Any thing else, like other programs that i can use against them, or am i stepping on the edge of the rules?
Old 03-03-04, 01:35 PM   #20
Big_Baller

Ya they arn't really good friends to have if you ask them not to hack into your box and they won't. Have you tryed telling them not to? I would deffinetly lay the smack down if my 'friends' were doing it without my permission....not that I know anyone like that but..

A little off topic. Arn't windows passwords easier to crack than linux passwords because linux uses "rice" or somthing. Just somthing I remember from an article a little bit ago.

------------------------
2GHz celeron, 512MB, Media/network server running Gentoo linux
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 running DD-WRT
------------------------
Proud member of P.E.T.A: People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.
Big_Baller is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.