• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probs with Celeron overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Creno

Registered
I overclocked my celeron from 400 to 500 mhz atm. But sometimes when I am gaming or doing something else, the system sicks sometimes for a few seconds and my HDD led shows constant activity in that period. Does someone know what this problem is? I have to say that this doens't happen all the time.

At 500mhz you are on an 83mhz fsb, this gives you a 41mhz pci bus which can be problomatic for harddrives. Try setting the hardrive to a pio mode, this is differant in differant bios's but usually it is under intergrated peripherals or something similar and it will usually be set to auto, try setting it low and see if you still get it. If you don't then the Hardrive is having problems with the high bus speed, try either pointing a fan at the hardrive or a new drive, what make of drive is it? what I suggested is not a permanent solution as drive performance will be really low.
If you still get the problems then it's not the drive, this leaves any of the pci components or an agp vid card. For agp vid card usually disabling sideband adressing or setting to agp1X can fix this, you will need to look in your bios for such options or in your video card driver options. It could also be a sound card or nic or internal modem, in which case try removing them one by one to see if you still have the problem. Let me know how you get on.

Well thnx 4 helping first of all, but I think I know what the problem is, since you explained me about the HDD Pio modes. I have a Celeron 400 @ 500 and, very important I think, 2 HDD drives. The Prim Master is an IBM 20.4 gb and the second one is a 6.4 gb. I only use the second one as storage for all the backups. Now I have disabled the second HDD and the problem is over. Now is there a way to hold my second HDD and keep the CPU at 500. I've checked the BIOS PIO modes for HDD's. It's on AUTO but i have the possibility to set on MODE1-5. Can you help me?
Thnx

Runing in a pio mode would give very poor performance, if you do decide to put the disk on the secondary ide channel with the cdrom or better still put the 20gb on an ide add in card like a promis raid or none raid. This way settnig the 6gb drive to a pio mode won't also set the 20gb one to the same pio mode which is a very slow system.

Back