Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

Problems connecting Dell Wireless router through a D-Link router ... need help plz.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-28-04, 12:59 PM Thread Starter   #1
Joker76

Problems connecting Dell Wireless router through a D-Link router ... need help plz.

I am having some problems getting everything connected to my home network and still being able to access the internet. I have a Dell Wireless Trumobile 2300 router (802.11b/802.11g) for use with my laptop and 1 other computer. I also have a D-Link Dl-704P wired router for use with 4 othe rcomputers in my house.

For some reason, I am not able to connect the Dell routed computers to my home network. I tried setting the Dell to Access Point only mode, and assigning it a static IP address through MAC assignment on the D-link. This gives me a LAN connection but I am still unable to connect to the other newtorked computers and the internet by using this method. And all the settings listed in ipconfig seem to be correct.

I can access the internet just fine when using the Dell router in Gateway mode, but I can't connect to the LAN that way either. I am completely stupmed here, does anyone know of a working solution for this?
Joker76 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-28-04, 02:35 PM Thread Starter   #2
Joker76

Sorry, after re-reading the original post it seems like I may have been somewhat unclear.

I have my cable modem connected directly to the Dlink router which connects 3 computers. The 4th output on the Dlink router connects to my Dell 2300 Truemobile router which then connects my Laptop via wireless and 1 other wired computer.

I am trying to set the Dell router as an Access Point only and be able to connect all the computers to the internet AND my home network. I tried following Dell's directions but as usual, they didn't help.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-29-04, 10:59 PM   #3
JetMech

I have never seen a dual router setup. In piggybacking it is better to use a hub or switch. It is more expensive to do but you could use the wireless router as an access point and put wireless adapters in all the other machines. Set it up as AD-hoc network and have them all assigned to the same workgroup.

Proud member of Folding@Home Team #32--Folding 24/7
"Greater love hath no man than to give up his puter(s) for science."
JetMech is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-29-04, 11:03 PM   #4
bchur83

10 Year Badge

How are you connected between the Dlink and the Dell routers? Is the cable from the dlink go to the WAN port on the Dell router or a regular port?

Main Rig: Asus P8Z68 Pro Gen3 * Core i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz * 8GB (2x 4GB) Mushkin Blackline PC3-1600 * GeForce GTX 560TI 448 1280MB * 6TB Storage * LG BD/RW * Lian-Li PC-V2000B * Dell 24" 2407FPW & Asus 24" VS248H
Backup Rig: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P * C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2Ghz * 4GB (2x 2GB) G-Skill PC2-8000 * Sapphire Radeon 4870 512MB * 320GB Storage * Samsung SH-S203N DVD+/-RW * Apex Full Tower Case * 2x Dell 19" LCD
HTPC: Abit IP35PRO * C2D E6600 @ Stock * 2GB G-Skill PC6400 * Geforce 8600GT 256MB * 640GB Storage * Lite On 16x DVD-ROM * 55" Samsung 1080p 3D LED LCD via HDMI

Media Server: DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D * A64 3800+ X2 * 1GB PC3200 * Powercolor X800XL * 14TB Storage * Lite On 16x DVD-RW

Heatware
bchur83 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-01-04, 04:07 PM   #5
jajmon

jajmon is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-01-04, 06:49 PM   #6
dkdgbroyles

R U able to get on the internet with all computers?

RAID 0: 2 Seagates 7200.10
8800 GT Superclocked edition
windows vista 64 bit
Cosair 550VX
Antec 900
dkdgbroyles is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-01-04, 09:54 PM Thread Starter   #7
Joker76

Thanks for the input guys ... I finally got it figured out. In the proccess I realized 2 important things:

1) Dell sucks

2) The solution is ALWAYS the dumbest little thing that you tend to overlook.

Dell's instructions would have worked fine from the get-go if they had included one tiny tidbit of information that they didn't.

In order for "piggy-backing" to work like this, there must be a cable going from a LAN port on one router to a LAN port on the other. I don't know why or how it works, but plugging the LAN cable into the WAN port causes all kinds of problems like the ones I was having.

After simply moving the cable from the WAN port to a LAN port on the Dell router, everything is now working fine.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.