• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

Im pretty sure this is possible but however since i have not interfaced with linux yet. My parts for my new pc are on way - yes a pc specially devoted to linux so it will not have the scar or fear of ever having to have booted off the dirty filthy Microsoft OS. Anyways i was just wondering if my linux machine can network with my XP machine and still transfer files. Im pretty sure it can i was just wondering if it was possible to.

Sorry about the excessive ammount of questions i have been posting and pms i have been sending out. Thanks to those who have already helped and still are.

Zoltan

It's totally possible and is being done quite a bit. There are two options you can do. One is to use Samba which is a Linux package that can connect to or act as a Windows share. Another option is to use Microsoft's Windows Services for Unix which can connect to or serve NFS exports. Either one is a great method but which one you choose depends one a couple things.

If you choose Samba then you'll need to set up the Linux machine for it. There's a guide in the sticky FAQ that describes how to set up Samba as a server. Samba is the method most choose to take.

Windows Services for Unix became freely downloadable relatively recently. Right now I've got two Windows computers acting as clients to an NFS server that I set up. Personally this is the method I'd choose but that's obviously just my opinion.

You can look into Samba here: http://samba.org
The sticky FAQ is here: http://www.ocforums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178359
And the Windows Services for Unix is here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/default.asp

-DarkArctic

yeah, samba can be a ***** to config unsecurely though
i could connect via a password from day 1, but i wanted to share files with everyone
and it was a real pain in the ***, but i finally got it figured out..

hheres my smb.conf

Code:
[global]
workgroup = mshome
netbios name = gentoo
server string = samba server
security = SHARE
log file = /var/log/samba.log
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
wins server = 127.0.0.1
wins support = Yes

[apache]
path = /var/www/localhost/htdocs
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
writable = yes
[Storage]
path = /shared
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
writable = yes

i just took out all my #commented out sections and whatnot
so you can see what it looks like

what i really love about it, is my apache webserver

#1 i mapped the apache share as a network drive
#2 created a shortcut for it
#3 when i want to update my site with a new picture, or something i can just double click on the shortcut and pop it in there

no having to use ftp/scp

fiji said:
yeah, samba can be a ***** to config unsecurely though
i could connect via a password from day 1, but i wanted to share files with everyone
and it was a real pain in the ***, but i finally got it figured out..

hheres my smb.conf

Code:
[global]
workgroup = mshome
netbios name = gentoo
server string = samba server
security = SHARE
log file = /var/log/samba.log
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
wins server = 127.0.0.1
wins support = Yes

[apache]
path = /var/www/localhost/htdocs
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
writable = yes
[Storage]
path = /shared
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
writable = yes

i just took out all my #commented out sections and whatnot
so you can see what it looks like

what i really love about it, is my apache webserver

#1 i mapped the apache share as a network drive
#2 created a shortcut for it
#3 when i want to update my site with a new picture, or something i can just double click on the shortcut and pop it in there

no having to use ftp/scp

This helps alot - thanks very much this is great.

Zoltan

You can also make the Samba deamon emulate a Windows domain controller as well as a print server. You can even have it authenticate through an active directory.

Back