• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nostalgia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jsmooth65

I'd just like to start a thread to look back on all the coolest games we used to play back in the day. Some of my fondest memories are playing my very first computer game, King's Quest III, on a Compaq Portable III that my dad brought home from work. Sure, the screen was orange, but i didn't care. Kicking that damn cat around the house and then walking down that scary moutain ledge was worth it. Also, going over to my friend's house and playing Maniac Mansion, which at the time I thought was hilarious. Then a few years later, playing Doom and Wolfenstein with my friends over our 14.4 modems. Me with the Pentium/60 Mhz, my friend with the 486/100 Mhz, and the intense gaming sweat dripping down my face. Then there was also X-Wing and Tie-Fighter. I loved those games so much I bought a Thrustmaster Pro joystick for around 150 bucks. The thing was metal and spring loaded, so it had to be bolted down to the desk...awesome. Those games provided so many hours of playtime, its hard to believe.

Lets hear your old favorites!

oh yes, I know the feeling.

Xwing
Tie Fighter
Wolfenstein 3d
Doom
Doom II
Battle Chess
Rise of the Triad

O, to many to list

when I think back, my mind goes to the NES, it always had better games then the PC, or Apple, so I think of

ICE Hockey
Crysalids
Excite bike
Zelda
mega man
Metroid

so many more

PC:
Scorched Earth

SNES:
Super Mario World
Mortal Kombat

Genesis:
some comic book like game I don't remember the title to
Golden Axe

Of course there aren't as many things for the good old days for me, since I am only 14. I have only had a pc's with clock speeds higher than 12mhz for 3 years now. The old 286 I had didn't have any good games.

anyone else ever play Helcats Over the Pacific on the mac way back in the day? That was a great flight sim for its day.

sure i could name plenty of games for the nes/snes or genesis but my favorite old time game was quake2, so many hours put into that game its insane

Lode Runner
King's Quest VI
King's Quest VII.
Myst
Gabriel... something
7th Guest
Wolfenstein
ORIGINAL Duke Nukems
Keen
More that I can't remember.

What's crazy is I'm only 17. Some of those games are borderline my age! :)

I'd count Zork but I never got CLOSE to beating that. (Bar.. Bar..)

LOl you kids have got it made when it came to video games. I remember when Pong first came out :-/ I forget the name of the machine but it had Pong and Duck Hunting. Then came along Atari and Pacman :)

My very first experience was with the NES system I got in 1985. It had the robot, the gun, Duck Hunt, and Gyromite. But I later got into computer games, and I just loved Sierra's adventure games like King's Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Quest for Glory, and Gabriel Knight. Too bad those kind of games fizzled out as technology expanded. So much better than shoot em up FPS's which seem to rule the computer game genre today.

n00bs, all of you ;)

Top games:

Asteroids
Centapede
Pitfall
Missle Command
Breakout

Atari = pwned :D
I cant even comprehend the amount of time I spent on that blasted thing, even after I got an NES, always had to hit up the atari with pops to kick his *** in asteroids :D

As for PC id have to go with..

Doom
Warcraft 1
Warcraft 2
Diablo 1 (an ungodly amount of hours were spent on this)
Scortched earth

great games:
scorched earth
rise of the triad

all time favs:
Tyrian
One Must Fall

imho the new incarnation of OMF, OMF:BG = major disappointment. they removed the best part of the game, being able to upgrade your pilot/robot (i O/C, i'm all about upgrading/improving)

Now here's the question, what games are more fun???

Super Mario Brothers 3 is probably my favorite video game of all time. I LOVE the old Mario, followed by the old Zelda. Nowadays, the games are fun, but they're all shoot shoot shoot, and they're SO SHORT. I beat Max Payne 2 in TWO days. Just when I was getting in to it, it was over. Old video games are more of games, and new video games are more story-based. Not knocking new games, really, but the old games, poor graphics and all, were incredible.

base wars
mario kart (SNES)
contra
xcite bike
joust
TIE Fighter
and i have to throw myst in there... i hated the game, but when it first came out i couldnt stop playing it because i was so blown away with the graphics

-those were my favs

PC (late 80's and early 90's):
Thexder
Captain Comic
Brooklyn Brawler
Police Quest
Leisure Suit Larry
The Colonel's Bequest
Duke Nukem 1 and 2
Halloween Harry
Blakestone
Jazz Jackrabbit

Arcade (early 90's):
Super Mario
Double Dragon
Streetfighter, Streetfighter 2 Turbo
Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and 3
Tekken 3
Daytona USA

Good times... If only I hadn't thrown out all those 5.25 floppies.

Yeah, i beat most FPS in a couple of days. And putting it on the insane level settings just makes it not fun. Games like WC3 are fun though, i played that for 1.5 years. I just wish we could see games like Monkey Island and Sierra's "quest" series again. Having to figure stuff out and being smart is kinda what tore me away from the console games. It was something console games couldn't achieve. Now it seems like PC games are just console games on steroids.

a long time ago i used to play MIB. now i can't find it from any were. it brings me old memory's. does any 1 know if they still sell that game . MID?????????

Back