• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to determine how strong a pelt is?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

I was a tad bit curious today, and I took apart my minifridge. I would like to know how powerful the pelt is, it reads:

tec1-12704
xy03/04/01

I can guess that the 03/04/01 thing is the date it was made, and the 12 is stating that its 12v. Gimmy a sec and ill post pics.

Model = TEC1-12704
Imax (A) = 4.0
Vmax(V) = 14.7
Qmax (W) = 34
D Tmax(oC) = 67
A =B (mm) = 40
C (mm) = 4.7

hope that helps

MinifridgePelt.jpg

Btw what is this thing? its between the bottom of the pelt and the fridge itself. I thought it might be a heatspreader, but why does it have power going into it?
MinifridgePelt2.jpg

Hmm, interesting. Might this not cool a video card? Also, it connects directly to wall current, and the only reason im not using a pelt right now is because a PSU for one is expensive. Think i could use the power plug for this one on say....a 130w pelt?

What video card ?

gf4 ti or 9600 and below you would see minimal gains

GF3 and 8500's and below it would work best on

Nm, the transformer is only rated for 3amps. The pelt runs at 9v, so its just under that. Suppose I cant step it up.

That black thingy with the wires going into it is a thermal switch. It's meant to keep the cold side within a certain preset range.
Wouldn't want your sammiches freezing, now would you?

No, it's not that bad at $30. I was thinking about getting one for summer to keep my Cokes nice and chilly while I drive.
Of course, I have a 120watt TEC and a small cooler too....just need a temp controler.

You can detach it from the coldplate and move it to sence the chamber's temperature.
You can also remove it alltogether, and hook the two wires together.
Just watch that your cans don't freeze after it's been on for a while, because there's little to no temp regulation with it moved/removed. The hot side (heatsink on the bottom) will probably get hotter when you make it run longer, which may be a danger to the plastic casing.
Another option is to google the part number on it to see if you can find it, and a replacement with a more suitable temp range.

And Chaser, Here's a guide for you from ArsTechnica. You can find more info by googling the phrase "the peltier effect" (with quotes).

Have fun!

Back