• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You have got to be kidding me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

Here I am...Pis_ing and a moaning about how you guys get such better temps than I do.

Please tell me that the "purple" hue on AMD processor's is not a thermal pad.
:eek:
If it is please tell me how to get it off.

Opps...nothing...Carb Cleaner...nothing...Alcohol...nothing.

Gezzzz:confused:

Hoping it is not true that I am such a dumb ***.

If I am...Can I, "hope" to get temps like you guy's do, on AMD system's???

DAMN!!!!

Just when I thought, I knew a thing or two.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Then (pardon my language)...WTF is it???

Please tell me why I cannot even come close to anybody's temperatures.

Really bugging me...I have the best of the best and am still 6C to 10C behind everybody???

I guess at this point I can only hope.

:eek:

what kind of temps are you getting?what kind of voltage are you running though your cpu?how hot is your room?and lastly I see you have 4 case fans so maybe you can move them around a little bit and improve airflow around your cpu hsf

do you mean when you look at the amd processor and you clean it and you can see your reflection in it and the amd engraving (is it still there on a barton) it looks kind or purple?? the processor core??

thats just how the dam silicon refects the light :) lol

Now I think I get what you meant with purple hue.

ati processors are far blacker/silvery and no purple. I like the ati core far better then the amd. looks so much nicer, and the laser engraving is also cooler :)

and are you using as5 or ceramique? and did you apply very little as instructed on the website?! makes a big difference

Nope...I have in my possesion four unlocked AMD Bartons...

Two 25's and two 28's

They all have a core that is pruple in color. (not metallic) to them.

My question is???

Is that a thermal pad that can be removed???

Just wondering why I cannot get even anywhere close to "average" temps for a system like mine.

In a word.

Is there a thermal pad that can be removed on AMD processors???

Leaving you without a thermal pad and a more "traditional" metallic color???

why does he keep incisting not to even tell us his cpu temps?

and no there is no thermal pad on the AMD core!!!! but you can lap it.
hey and maybe it will make 1C temp difference. but I seriously doubt that.

with the slk800a/smart fan combo in sig I get upto 47c full load depending on how hot my room is.how hot are you?

You see the sig on two of my box's...I do not post temperatures.

(nor overclock's)...

Why have some guy that has the same set-up as you wonder why my temps are way above his.

In a word...I think my question has been answered.

There is...NO...Thermal pad...blue, green, pink...

Or purple on a AMD processor...

That can be removed.

YES???

or NO???

Last edited:
i thought thermal pads are suppose to be on the HS not the CPU itself.
yeah, i would rather use arctic silver5 and lap slk a bit.
what is your average case temp?

and not everyone gets a CPU that can O/C and stay at it's original (before O/C) temp....

i got one P4-2.4C with pretty high temp when O/Ced and one XP2500+ with idle 42C when O/Ced to 3200+.

Hookem said:

You see my rig...I do not post temperatures...

Why have some guy that has the same set-up as you wonder why my temps are way above his.

In a word...I think my question has been answered.

There is...NO...Thermal pad...blue, green, pink...

Or purple on a AMD processor...

That can be removed.

YES???

or NO???
I don't post temps in my sig either simply because it varies so much depending on room temp.now to be honest i could care less how hot or cool the next guy is and the only reason i even posted my temp is i felt it was higher than alot of temps i see in sigs and wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

Hey I am setting on 2.25MHz...Overvolted .5 on a 2800 Barton

I can get to 14X multipler...

And then all hell breaks loose...

Just another processor that has had it's, balls busted, just to see just what it has.

Hey I can post "screen shots" that would have you drool...

Excuse me...Most of you drool.

I just want to...Some how to get in the "ball park" with everyone as far as with "temps".

Hey I can "post" and "screen shot" the World...Moon...Stars

I do not care about all that business...

You have the power supply...Then the motherboard...Memory...Buses...It aint rocket sicence

Yours is faster than mine???

Hell...I dont care!!!!

I just want to find out how my temperatures can be so crappy???

Compared to ten times less than what most guys have...I would be on the one tenth of one percent list....

Hey and I dont like it...

A little help for someone...Who is completley lost at the moment...

LOL

Last edited:
Hookem said:

You see the sig on two of my box's...I do not post temperatures.

(nor overclock's)...

...Because processors vary and don't always have the same temps?

It's a result of this process...

http://www.future-fab.com/documents.asp?grID=216&d_ID=1331

The mixture used and the color of the polish pads determines the hue of the core.

Here's where many of the AMD CPUs you buy come from. It's also worth reading the article to get a brief glimpse as to what goes on inside a fab.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1581/

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1773

And for counterpoint. Intel.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1584

I'll try again.case and room temp play a big role in cpu cooling.maybe if you get more of the hot air out of your case you would be cooler.another thought would be to feed your cpu more fresh air by building a duct or just by repostioning your current case fans so the air flows over your hsf better.

Last edited:
it may be that your, hsf, most of us use copper thermalrights. My slk900a has a 92mm tornado at full speed and my temps vary from 41/47 to 44/50. I have a big a** blower and AS5 on the way, hoping that will help me.

My temps suck too.

My SK7 cant keep 1.775v under control. It idles @ 50 and went up to 57 load :eek:

Needless to say I backed it off to 1.625 and droped back down to 2.2ghz. My temps are now 42idle and about 48 load.

Sadly my SK7 is using a Tornado @ full blast

BTW how much better is an SP97 vs an SK7?????

Im looking very heavily into watercooling but dont have the cash right now.

Those of you that use SP97s in hot rooms, what is the max voltage it can handle while keeping the load temps in the low 50s (like 52 or so) and the Idle temps in the mid 40s.

Cuz if it is +-1.9v I'll pick one up.

Thnx :cool:
-Sen

Are you looking to lower temps or find the chemical propertries of the surface of the Core? That HUE is most likely blueing from these unmentioned temps you have that are cooking the processor ?

Seriously what are room temps, system temps, and processor temps at ful load ? It could be as simple as case fans for getting the temps down...

Back