• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead power supply? OR something else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R3v3lation

Registered
I had a lan party last night, and when I finished setting my computer up downstairs it wouldn't turn on. No fans, no lights, nothing.

I finally got it working by swapping out my PSU but when I brought it back upstairs today it wouldn't turn on again, same as before. Now, the one I swapped out before(the one that wasn't working) doesn't seem to work in any of the computers I've tested it in, so it apears to be dead. The "new" PSU that I replaced it with doesn't work in nay computers either, including the one I swapped it from...

I got a new PSU(for the computer I swapped the PSU from) and it's working fine for this(not the one at the lan) computer, but it didn't work at all for the one at the lan. When I tried it it did the same nothing as before, except when I held the power button down I think I heard a crackling sound... like electricity.

I'm thinking this might be a problem with my case... but I don't really know. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm thinking of just going and getting a whole new case and PSU.

I can think of a couple of things; ground fault, breaker/fuse tripped inside the PSU, too much load on the PSU. What kind of PSUs are they?

check all the wires going into all the plugs for loose play or broken contacts.
or any bare wires or cuts

Try jumpering the PSus like this;
plug.gif

then plug them in. If they have some life left, this in most cases will get them working again. If nothing happens, there's a pretty good chance they're DOA.

Back