Intel CPUs
Forum Jump

Copopermine or Not

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-29-01, 09:17 PM Thread Starter   #1
It_The_Cow

10 Year Badge

Copopermine or Not

I have a Pentium III 750 mhx processor, but I'm not sure if it's a coppermine. According to a site I went to a while ago, it was a CuMine based on the numbers on it, but on the box, it isn't mentioned anywhere. Which one should I trust
It_The_Cow is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-29-01, 09:24 PM   #2
WillysNut
Senior Jeep Nut

I believe you do in fact have one of the "early" coppermine chips. See the attached article:

http://www.baznet.freeserve.co.uk/P3-750-800.htm

WillysNut is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-29-01, 09:30 PM   #3
jmsandrsn

10 Year Badge

All PIII 750's will be coppermines...no exceptions. The version that a processor is(ie. coppermine, katmai, tualatin) is mostly just looked upon by industry proffesionals or hardware enthusiasts. Intel really doesn't put this lable on the product. You have to take the product they give you, look at the codes, and then check the spec sheets to know what version you have. Or, in a situation like this, all PIII's(desktops only) between 650 MHZ and 1 GHZ are going to be coppermines. At the upper and lower ends of this range, there may be other versions(katmai on the lower end and tualatin on the high end if they ever release them).
jmsandrsn is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-29-01, 10:22 PM   #4
Mr B
Senior Admin Emeritus

10 Year Badge

There were some P/// 600 Coppermines as well, thought I call mine a 954EB now. ???

Mr B

Old 06-30-01, 01:30 AM   #5
Sohryu Asuka Langley

lol!
Sohryu Asuka Langley is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-03-01, 12:04 PM   #6
most deaf

cu mine
most deaf is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-03-01, 06:29 PM   #7
Newbie_Doo
Admin Parent

10 Year Badge

If I recall, the first Coppermine released was a PIII550E.

Welcome to my sandbox. Sandbox Rules: 1) Play nicely. 2) Don't throw sand. 3) Share your toys. 4) Go inside to use the potty.

newbius.blogspot.com
Newbie_Doo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-04-01, 06:15 AM   #8
[OC]_SR20DE

awww numbers keep going down! hahaha =)>
[OC]_SR20DE is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-05-01, 01:50 AM   #9
SP

There were 550Mhz coppermines as well as 600Mhz coppermines. However, there were also 550Mhz and 600Mhz Katmais. Anyway, any PIII 650Mhz or higher is bound to be a coppermine. Also, contrary to what a few people seem to think they made slot1 coppermines as well as FCPGA. In fact I believe it was only a month or so ago they quit making slot1 chips.

Anyway, if anyone had a slot 1 550 or 600 and they aren't sure which it is, the way to tell is by the Voltage and level 2 cache. The Katmais ran at 2.0v whereas coppermines at this speed ran at either 1.65v or 1.7v depending on stepping. The Katmais also had 512K level 2 cache compared to 256K for the coppermine. Futhermore if you physically examine a Katmai chip you'll see there are 2 chips located on the board off to the side of the cpu. These were the cache ram chips. On a coppermine the cache ram is integrated into the cpu itself and these 2 chips aren't present. of course all Katmai processors were slot 1. So, any FCPGA 550Mhz or 600Mhz PIII would be a coppermine.
SP is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-05-01, 04:40 PM   #10
funnyperson1

10 Year Badge

i have a coppermine 600E Slot 1, its running at 780, but the temperature sensor on my chip is totally wack....it says its 70 degrees c, but im able to touch the the heatsink, (my estimate is about room temperture)...why is it so high?
funnyperson1 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-06-01, 02:12 PM   #11
Pinky
Disabled

10 Year Badge

If it's 667 P3 or higher, then it's coppermine. No exceptions (until you get to the Tulatins of course).
Pinky is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs