• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Man...."hyperthreading "sucks...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vito

I had to use a another puter at my office the other day because my dualie rig was at home getting some upgrades put in.
I was using a new DELL Dimension P4-2.6 800 w/HT and 1GB PC3200, and a GF Ti4400 128mb vid card.
What a joke
I multi-task like mad and this thing jammed up on me countless times. Trying to run my ADT2004, Word, Opera, Excel......slow pokey as hell......driving me to drinkin. I was going at my crazy dualie usage pace and this thing is no match.
I'm thinking this "hyperthread" is a bunch of hoooey compared to a decent dualie rig.

Vito said:
I'm thinking this "hyperthread" is a bunch of hoooey compared to a decent dualie rig.

A HT P4 should, in theory, be better than a non-HT P4 for multitasking/multithreading. However, it is still worthless and a complete joke compared to a real dual.

Duals for everyone!:D

I've used HT P4's and I was really impressed with their smoothness, compared to non-HT P4's. It was almost as good as true SMP.

Oh well, one man's junk is another man's treasure...

MameXP said:
hehehe i like spldart's comment. I have had ..;)

Ain't it the best? It's the only thing better than two well overclocked, liquid cooled processors or a big block motor attached to the other end of a loud pedal. :cool:

yeah my dual ht pwns, thing never hands (well ok it does when i have 5 renders goin, an animatoin, and opera open but that was liky maybe twice ok =P)

Some render tests

StreetRacersTest1.png

StreetRacersTest2.png

StreetRacersTest3.png

13 seconds to render each of them. I should note that I shrunk and cropped these images from the orginal rendered image. They where rendered at 1024x768.

HT does not suck as you so elquently put it, it is not true SMP it is SMT and it is better then just one CPU at all so it is in reality

2 cpu with HT > 2 CPU w/o HT > 1 CPU with HT > 1 cpu w/o HT if all cpus are same type speed and everything else is the same (os/ram/hd's ect. ect. ect.)

wish i would have kept my dual 3.06? is it just me or do most people change systems every 3 months?!?

and oc night-hawk, are you using a gf4-ti4600 to render in your dual xeon sys?

oh and spldart, as my uncle once told me, dual cpu are like tits, ones not enough and threes too many :D

Last edited:
How about 4 2los ? hehe

The HT is a good series BUT you need to keep in mind that is should be compaired to a none HT P4 and NEVER a true SMP system

The origional idea behind it was to multi task bettter that a normal CPU...
eg ever been on on single rig and an AV scan kicked in slowing your work to a snails pace, now try it on a P4 HT and watch it... it will slow but not as much.

the Xeon CPUs are in a whole other world, they can be SMP and i think most are in SMP rigs.

Single > Single HT > SMP > SMP HT

no i said what i meant

though allow me to make it easier

Single CPU > Single HT CPU > SMP > SMP HT CPU

Shorly SMT = Semetric Multi Threading

and my list was simply am illustration on the best way (from worst to best) to get multatasking to run smooth

2los said:
oc night-hawk, are you using a gf4-ti4600 to render in your dual xeon sys?

Yeah, but I have mine softmoded into a quadro4 900 xgl. Actually the graphics card is only important inside the modeling application while you work on the model. Rendering is done by the processors alone. There is hardware rendering that is developing, but its not really ready for prime time yet. The prospect of real time rendering production quality is great though. :D

Back