• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nf7(2) -5v ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

burn14me

can some one tell me what the -5volt means and how far past the -5volt reading is ok to go? or if it really matters and what exactly does it do? I am testing 2 new chips I received today from newegg.com today both are amd athalon M 2500+ IQYHA0407VPMW anyway I think my -5 is going to low at a vcore of 2.03v. my -5v will go as low as -5.50 or so just a bit over my winbound warning of -5.49v.

thx

This is a quote from a thread that I started a while back about the same question:

-5 V: A now archaic voltage, -5 V was used on some of the earliest PCs for floppy controllers and other circuits used by ISA bus cards. It is usually provided, in small quantity (generally less than 1A), for compatibility with older hardware. Some form factor power supplies such as the SFX no longer bother to supply it (systems using the SFX power supply are intended not to have ISA bus slots).

Back