Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

The "I forgot to turn the pump on" horror story ...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-02-04, 07:31 PM Thread Starter   #1
sHape oF gReY

The "I forgot to turn the pump on" horror story ...

Well about thirty minutes ago, I got home from work, quite worn out from a days work. Go to my room, hit the power switch on the case and head to the kitchen to grab a bite.

Roughly 30 seconds later i heard a beeping noise...it took me about 10 seconds to process that it was my temp. alarm. At that point I covered roughly 40-50 feet in 2 seconds...jumping over chairs and dodging my cat. I dont think I've ever moved that fast for anything in my life

Anyway, yanked the power cord out of the wall (had to take a face dive under the table..ouch...) . Waited a bit, turned the pump on, powered up the PC...i never thought Id be THAT glad to hear the annoying beep at boot-up

So far all seems good.

Anyway, though Id share the story while im sitting here mending my wounds...twisted ankle, few minor scrapes...and by morning probly a few bruises.

~ peace

PS. dont forget to turn your pumps on if you have em... it really hurts if you dont

-Intel i7 920 4.2Ghz
-Gigabyte EX58-UD5 F9m BIOS
-G.Skill DDR3 1600 3x2 Gb 9-9-9-24
-AMD R290X 1200/1600
-TT Toughpower 750 watt
-Samsung 840 128Gb SSD OS
-Samsung 840 256Gb SSD Apps
-Logitech Z-5500

Heatware
sHape oF gReY is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-02-04, 07:36 PM   #2
mattmolson

good recovery there man,lol.bet your heart was going nuts for 10 min.great that all is well.
mattmolson is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-02-04, 07:38 PM   #3
Mr.Radar

LOL, when I first built my setup, I didn't tighten the screws in my SLK-947U all the way (for fear of crushing my 2500+, I'm too cheap for a shim) and I'm thanking myself to this day that the first thing I did in my NF7-S BIOS was to set the auto-CPU-shutoff temp as low as it would go(65*C). About 2 minutes into Memtest86+ my comp turns off with the two-tone siren of doom. I promptly pulled the power cord and waited for the siren to die, then I opened the case and tried to reset the CMOS (I don't remeber why I tried to do this). Of course all of my cables have to converge right over the clear-CMOS jumper so it took me about 3 minutes to get to it, which was thankfully enough time for the CPU temp to get back down to safe levels. When I turned it on again I went into PC Health and saw the temps in the high 40s, turn it off, tighten screws, turn back on, goto PC Health, temps in mid 30s. Lesson learned: always set the CPU-auto-shutoff temp as low as it will go!
Mr.Radar is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-02-04, 07:47 PM Thread Starter   #4
sHape oF gReY

Yeah, I owe a cold one to the lads that came up with the "auto-shudown if teh temp gets too high" idea

-Intel i7 920 4.2Ghz
-Gigabyte EX58-UD5 F9m BIOS
-G.Skill DDR3 1600 3x2 Gb 9-9-9-24
-AMD R290X 1200/1600
-TT Toughpower 750 watt
-Samsung 840 128Gb SSD OS
-Samsung 840 256Gb SSD Apps
-Logitech Z-5500

Heatware
sHape oF gReY is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-02-04, 08:17 PM   #5
SewerBeing
Grasshoppa Senior

my cpu was also saved by the auto shutdown feature, I forgot to plug my cpu fan back in.

"Always be sure to flash your bios during lightning storms!" MRD

Please Fold for team 32!
portage > apt > source > rpm > windows update
Gautam is a water buffalo
SewerBeing is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-02-04, 08:34 PM   #6
rxc

That auto shutdown feature has probably saved many...myself included
rxc is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-02-04, 08:35 PM   #7
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Neomoses once did a write up on the forums about how his rig lasted hours when he tested it without a pump... This isn't as big of a deal as people tend to think - it's not like when your friend passes gas and you have to get your shirt over your nose before you pass out.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.p...highlight=pump

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool