• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phantom console?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captain_sHiFTy

technically not general computer, as its a console, but as a console with computer parts and no specific console section to post this in, i decided to post it here. i apologize if its the wrong place to put it.

What do people think this whole "Phantom Gaming Console"?

do you think its:

A) a scam?

B) maybe not a scam, but definately doomed to fail.

C) may fail, may succeed. i'll wait until it comes out and see what reviews say and how good the library of games is.

D) if it looks good, i might buy one when its released.

E) looks excellent, i'll definately buy one when its released

F) the Phantom gaming console r 1337!!!!!!!! i've already preordered mine!

for those who havent heard about it, you can read the the article on the little lawsuit over at hard ocp here

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTk4

http://www.infinium.com i beleive is the main page for the company.

my vote is between b and c. I doubt it's going to do well, and i dont see it being a good investment right off the bat. No cd tray? everything on your hard drive? doesnt that mean that if you download too many big games that you'll have to delete stuff to get more? and what about if the company goes under and the game servers go down? even if nintendo or sony went under, you'd still be able to buy games still stocked at stores.

the console gaming market is a VERY competative market. If sega can be crushed out of the market, i dont see how any newcomers without the massive budget of microsoft can have the chance. Seen any commercials on tv for this thing? remember the massive marketing campaign of the xbox? and its still not doing tremendously well outside of north america.

I have my doubts about this system. The information is very vague and its been in "development" for YEARS, when it's out then I'll comment on what I think about it, if it really does come out, but the topic that HardOCP made about it, kind of turned me away from this console indefinitely, so who knows. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Their HQ's is 1 mile from me and I am going to have to pick: A) a scam

I went there to get some answers and Pictures and it appeared to be nothing but a PR firm.

Hate to say it but I believe [H] is dead on in their statements and conclusions.

Well I read today that they will be at E3 with a actual working model. Even if they do end up being a legit firm, they are entering a very saturated market. They are going to need a software backing just to get the their foot in the door.

Who the heck would buy a system that:

A)Has no current, major developers making titles
B)Has no solid-state games (Content on Demand isn't a good idea, not everybody feels like waiting for a game to download)
C)Is really just a Dell in a fancy case

Also, I bet you could use the Phantom software on a regular PC and it would work, since the Phantom supposedly will have to be connected to an infustructure through a PC anyway.

SeanOMatic said:
Who the heck would buy a system that:

A)Has no current, major developers making titles
B)Has no solid-state games (Content on Demand isn't a good idea, not everybody feels like waiting for a game to download)
C)Is really just a Dell in a fancy case

Also, I bet you could use the Phantom software on a regular PC and it would work, since the Phantom supposedly will have to be connected to an infustructure through a PC anyway.

All I know is they wouldn't let me into the office to take a couple pictures some weeks back.

I got the distinct feeling this is a Scam and have yet to see anything to prove otherwise.

ya i think its a scam too. ive thought it was a scam ever since they released it with a bunch of cg pictures. i mean the xbox had a solid test product available almost as soon as they released information about it didnt they (well, when they publicly released it, not when they released all the propoganda about it :D ).

not to mention that this just does NOT correspond with the way that any intelligent business would operate upon launching a product into a very competative market. no tv commercials, no working test product, nothing.

i'm also with penny arcade on this. GO PENNY ARCADE lol.

they actually wouldnt let you in to take pictures silversinksam? maybe you should try again and do an article on it for the mainpage. with the size of this community, im sure they wouldn't turn down the chance to make a good pr (to make up for this [H] business in the very least).

if they still dont let you in im gunna have to say SCAM. (where as now its just SCAm...)

Back