• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pny Gf Fx5200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daemoslives

Registered
Padded walls, straightjacket, sound familiar?
Is there any way i can eek any more performance out of this card?
In all honesty, i used to get better frame rates in Call of Duty with my GF4 MX440 (4x AGP) than this thing....
I already set everything to mid-range detail/performance
I overclocked it from stock to 300/475, i can go higher and be stable.
Last real push I gave it was 425/525 core/mem, and it worked fine for a 4 hour session of CoD Multiplayer.
But its still slow, and at times lags for about 1/2 second in game at random times.

Current AGP setup is thus

PNY GF FX5200 128mb DDR @ 300/475 core/mem
8X AGP with Sideband Addressing and Fast Writes Enabled
AGP aperature set to 128mb (would setting to 256 help?)
All detail settings set to mid-range performance/detail
Ansiotropic Filtering and AntiAliasing DISABLED (dont help the looks much in my book, so why bother?)
V-sync Disabled
All details in games are set to Medium (or equivalent)

After all this crap, the games still stutter at random for 1/2 second, and framerate is equivalent to the GF4 MX440 I had.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:temper: :bang head :mad:

The performance ur getting is very typical of the 5200.
You did everything u can to max out performance and believe me(ive had 2 5200') it dont get any better.

Sorry

The 5200 is famous for how slow it is. I think you should enable v-sync. I don't really think you could get any more out of it...

Mhypertext said:
Man you should have got the ultra 5200

it has a little better performance

Yes but also it is much more expensive,for the price he could get at least a 5600u right now but i may be mistaken.

Mhypertext said:
yeah but i get 11000 3d marks in 2001 se

That seems better than the typical 5600 or 5600u scores
Maybe i should have gotten 1 of those. hehe.

well i know that AA performance is really bad compared to the 5600u and i need that so........

anyway Nice score !

Damn!

daemoslives said:
Bah, screw it, I returned the 5200 and got myself a Radeon 9600XT

Much better performance, and much better visuals too
Busted the 15000 mark on 3dmark2001

You did that with the rig in your signature?

Would be nice if you post a link to your score, would like to compare mine to it. That is a very nice score man, glad you came out a head in that deal.

Your card maybe over heating too, that is why you might be experiencing lag at higher temperatures. I think you should try and replace the stock cooling with something better, preferablly a heatsink and cpu fan, not some VGA silencer mod thing.

stratcatprowlin said:
Hey termin@tor, My avatar wants to meet yours! hehe.

I will have to take the place of mine, and I want to meet that avatar as well...:D

Hope you get that 5900 soon bro, can't wait to hear the good reports.

daemoslives said:
ACK!
So sorry it took so long to post the link to my 3dmark results,
turns out I only busted the 12000 mark.... :(

The 15k mark was at 800x600 with AA and Ansio turned on, cuz i only have a 15" monitor, thats what i usually use to play mah games

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7712467

Was that score on the link with the 9600XT stock or oc'd?

What about the cpu? 2.8 or.30?

the video card is completely stock.

I tried overclocking it, but started getting artifacts at only 25mhz over stock speeds..... bummer, time to upgrade the cooling on this beast.

The CPU is listed in 3dMark as 2.8 but its running at 3.0ghz for the tests. Damned intel boards only allow 4% overclock.... Gotta buy me an ASUS

Back