• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

artic silver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I still have 3/4 a tub of Arctic Alumina I bought last year. It was applied last April and it's still working just the same. Ceramique is probably better since its new but they still sell Alumina.

Redstone said:
I still have 3/4 a tub of Arctic Alumina I bought last year. It was applied last April and it's still working just the same. Ceramique is probably better since its new but they still sell Alumina.
Did you apply it on your cpu?
B/c i think alumina is an adhesive.

I thought that at first too, but there's Arctic Alumina Adhesive and just Arctic Alumina.

archilochus said:
Arctic Silver Ceramique is good too. And it cleans up just as easy as AS 5....:)

Does AS5 clean up that much easier than AS3?
Ceramique is much, MUCH easier to remove that that
darn staining AS3.

rxc said:
The story behind the lack of an AS 4 is pretty interesting ;)

I found this from a review HERE:

The jump straight from Arctic Silver 3 (AS3) to Arctic Silver (AS5) is not just performance wise but marketing. In Japan, the number 4 "shi" is associated with death. As Arctic Silver sold a lot of their product in Japan, their aim is to keep the customer happy. In the same situation, you will never see a 13th floor in the USA.

Man!.. superstition :rolleyes:

I like Ceramique. I've seen several reviews that put its performance slightly ahead of that of AS 5. Additionally, it's 100% non-conductive, which really doesn't affect much, but it makes me feel better about having it on my CPU.

KemoSabe said:

I found this from a review HERE:

Man!.. superstition :rolleyes:

What exactly are you rolling your eyes at? I don't know if it's superstition, just chinese and japanese people don't like using the number 4 because of the mentioned reason; it's pronounced the same as 'death'. It applies to everything.

When I got my new car my dad requested that there be no 4's in my license plates. (I'm chinese btw)

It's just like how buildings don't have a...13th(?) floor. (oops, just saw that the review covered that too.)

Last edited:
When I got my new car my dad requested that there be no 4's in my license plates. (I'm chinese btw)

chinese people dont like a lot of numbers..like 1314 because it means one alive one dead..but they like 8's..means u gonna earn a lot of money..theres a lot of numbers they dont like..but i honestly dont even care..and 4 does mean death..if u were chinese and u read it..4 sounds like death in chinese..

From my experience, death is also a much more sensitive subject among some older Asians than it is here in the US. Not among all Asians, but for some it is a very touchy subject and they'd likely get upset if you were to joke about death or approach the subject lightly.

And just to clarify, it's the pronounciation of the number four - shi - that is similar to the pronounciation of death.

Khasra said:
From my experience, death is also a much more sensitive subject among some older Asians than it is here in the US. Not among all Asians, but for some it is a very touchy subject and they'd likely get upset if you were to joke about death or approach the subject lightly.

And just to clarify, it's the pronounciation of the number four - shi - that is similar to the pronounciation of death.

Yeah, it's the pronounciation of 4, I didn't mean to say that's what it meant.

Last edited:
Back