• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdizziedog

Last night I went to install my new Geforce4 Ti-4600. I disabled the integrated crappy intel graphics via the bios, saved the changed, and it restarted. I knew that since there was no graphics card installed it was going to start annoying me and beeping, so I just held down the power button and it shut down. I opened up the case, installed the GF4 in the AGP slot, put it all back together, and plugged it in. I pressed the power button, and nothing happend. I got frustrated at this point, and made sure that everything was nice and tight inside the case, put it all back together again, and then put all the wires into the back. Pressed the button again, still nothing. I'm really really mad right now. I've talked to one of my friends and he said he had this issue when he installed one of his geforce vid cards, he said that it had fried his CPU. Is that even possible? I sure hope not. I think I might have messed up the bios when it was saving and restarting or something when I held down the power button to shut it down. Not sure, but this is seriously not what I need right now. Please help. Thanks in advance.

That was one of the things that I was going to try, but I just wanted some feedback first. I'll try it and see how it goes. Thanks. Anymore ideas?

Just to make sure everyone understands, the comp doesn't get ANY power when I press the power on button. The fans don't start up, the LED's dont light up, nothing at all.

Try using another vid card.. perhaps a PCI card.. I was having this issue with an old dell computer.. the AGP slot fried or the card is.. still not sure.. so i ripped out an old PCI card to see if it wouold work and it did.. so maybe ur freind is right.. the AGP slot might be burned up on it.. go on pricewatch.com or newegg.com and look up a cheap 32 meg vid card and see if that is the issue.... I am probably betting it is.. but i could be wrong...

I have a spare Geforce FX5200 PCI card around here somewhere, but what doesn't make sense is that nothing is getting any power when I press the power button. Even if the AGP slot is fried, the CPU, hard drives, fans and everything should turn on...

When you powered it down, did you wait a few seconds after messing with the BIOS? Or did you just hit "F10", "Y" and then cut the power?

Before you start taking things apart, disconnect all the power cables from your components and then unplug the PSU from the wall. Sometimes if you hook something up wrong (the connector is bent and the wrong pins get the wrong voltage), the PSU will flip a breaker and will be defunct for a while. Leave it for about 30 minutes, then try again. Be careful about hooking stuff up this time.

If that doesn't work...

First, test the PSU. Get a paper clip, unplug all the components, and then the PSU out of the case. Connect pins 13 and 14 (should be green to black), and plug the PSU into the wall. If the fan doesn't spin, you've got a dead PSU. Somebody around here probably has the picture with the appropriate pins labled, hint hint you goofy lurkers.

If the PSU works, then take everything else out of the case. Set your motherboard on a bench/desk/someplace clean. Keep the CPU, heatsink/fan, and RAM installed. Plug the PSU in and then short the power switch pins with a paper clip or something else conductive. If the PSU fan doesn't spin, try another stick of RAM, or another CPU.

If that works okay, take the speaker from your case and hook that up along with that 5200 FX PCI. See if you can get any video. If not, listen for beep codes.

If you can get that far, you should be able to test the rest of your components and figure out what happened.

also try and reset the bios... that might also help.. to do that take out the battery and switch the cmos pin for about 3 minutes.. then put battery back in and put cmos back also./.. the cmos should be somewhere near the battery... if that works put everything to default.. then shut down install card this time go into windows and then disable the device u dont wanna use.. that should eliminate the compouter not loading up... I will try and look up some more info on this issue.. it does sound odd tho... I had the same problem with the dell computer.. but i cant remember wtf i did to fix it... it was the PCI card that helped and something else...

My guess is that you shut it down before the bios had updated completely. You should be able to get back up and running by clearing the cmos. Leave the card in, reset cmos, then change bios settings on bootup. I would think the board would recognize a card in the agp slot and you'd get a display right away, but it may not, so you may have to plug your monitor into the onboard vga to change the bios settings, then let it start rebooting even post, then shut it off and change the monitor cable.

Back