• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC a Duron 1.6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlipAway172

Registered
i have a duron 1.6 overclocked to 1.8. i have done nothing with the Multiplyer or the voltage. when i put the FSB to 166 it will get unstable. will i need to bump up the voltage so it will be stable and about how much should the voltage be bumped every time when unstable. i have seen on these fourms that there procrssor it runnig at 2.15GHZ an i would like for mine to run that high and how can i get it that high?

thankyou

My duron made it to 2ghz with no voltage increase, IE 166x12. Most durons are locked, so your only option is to raise the fsb. If it gets unstable, try bumping the voltage from 1.5 to 1.6. See if that helps. Personaly, I dont ever go over 1.75v on any of my amd processors, but im a bit over protective.

Also, what motherboard and ram do you have? If its below a kt400 or nforce2, you wont be able to get 166 stable because of the board itself, and if you have pc2100 ram, same story. PC2700 is the minimum.

Depends what mobo you have, but I have my duron 1.8 (supposedly not as good as a 1.6 for OCing) at 2.42GHz right now (11x220) at 1.78V. Pretty quick chip for 43 bucks...

yeah um so i MAY want to bumb my voltage to like 1.7 or somewhere in that ballpark cuz i did it without bumping it like 2 months ago and it FROZE when loading win or playing a game. so i MAY expect a colck speed or around 2.1GHZ

i have a MSI K7N2G mobo
with PC2700 RAM
also i have a speeze fan (nothing special)

wait what is the MAX TEMP of a duron 1.6 so u know i dont fry it

I'm thinking about a duron 1.8 and a thermalright slk-947 and a vantec tornado. Overclock!

Edit: removed non-working HTML code

i just bought the 1.8, im hoping to get it to 2.4GHz, worst case im out $40.00 on the processor and whatever my mobo ends up costing. Seems worth it to try

MAX temp 50-55C

i have a new problem,

most of the times when i boot my computer my pc speakers will make a beep beep beep... noise. i monitor will not turn on. i reboot and it works fine. i have the FSB to 166 and my speed is 2.0GHz. i bumped up the voltage a little bit to make it stable. what is the problem. i have a MSI K7N2G-L mobo with a nforce2 chipset

Some of the 1.6 Durons will go as high as 2.4, but some won't. I originally had my 1.6 running at 2 GHz with only a speeze cooler, so it will work, but if you want to push it any more I would get an all copper heat sink.

Maybe you have set a warning temp in the BIOS to around 50C, and the sounds u get is the warning

i looked at the PCU temp right when i restarted and it was at 32C and i have it set to go off at 60C

bluediamond said:
Some of the 1.6 Durons will go as high as 2.4, but some won't. I originally had my 1.6 running at 2 GHz with only a speeze cooler, so it will work, but if you want to push it any more I would get an all copper heat sink.
i have 3 newer durons 1 1600 will do 2700 on water and the 2 others will do over 2600 so there getting better

i THINK my cpu is stable is there a way to test it? i tryed prime95 and i get a error

would running a game at maxed out graphics do well

i have 3 fans blowing out of the back of computer will turing one backwards help put air to the fan/heatsink to reduce temp a little

my CPU IS NOT STABLE AT 166mhz so i droped it 1mhz and the temp of the mobo droped 3C and my CPU DROPED 10C WOW now only to see if it is stable during processor intensice games.

one quick question will upping my mulitiplyer make my CPU less stable even if i drop my mhz but up my mulit

Back