• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best ram on a budget?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why one stick? If you get two you will be able to run dual channel. ie (2x256) I would shop around a little more b4 I buy.

The RAM you picked is the best you can get (nice choice). There are several brands that use Winbond's CH5 chips. The one you picked is such an example. Others include Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin and Geil.

However the best companies in order are: Mushkin/OCz, Corsair, Kingston, Geil.

Almost all CH5 runs (aprox) at a maximum of DDR450 with (2-2-3-6). Voltage dosnt sit well with CH5, raising the voltage beyond the 2.6 range will make ur PC very unstable.

However the very best is reserved for Mushkin's 222 Special. 222 special uses Winbond's BH6 (which was their ealier version of the infamous BH5). If you can find resonably priced 222 special I would suggest you get that instead.

Here's an example of Mushkin's 222 special from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...146-283&catalog=147&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

Last edited:
check Geil @ newegg.. my ram is only $210 and works great! check rig below :D

Ya know,

Why dont the Canadians complain to newegg? I think that the whole forum should email/push newegg into selling stuff to Canada.

It really makes me sad to see so many pplz miss out on the newegg deals :(

We should really try and help u pplz out.

yeah right on.. and while your at it get them to ship to Australia too !

back on topic.... If you want some nice ram at a good price, consider some Buffalo PC3200 my two 512 sticks overclock to 227MHz

You can buy a 512MB stick for $81 from tblmemory.com

PMI suprisingly have a new memory PMI3200-1024DGL come out for overclocking. Recently review by ClubOC, there result is quite unexpected.

Only neutron express for $220 and ioCombo for $218(coupon 04030401) has it so far.

Check them out

Re: Buffalo Timings?

Metal_4evr said:
What timings do those Buffalo 512mb sticks generally run at?

The stock settings are 2.5,4,4,8... I think

but I always run mine @ 2.0,3,3,11

Heres a screenie of them running @ 227MHz with timmings of 2.0,3,3,7 @ 2.9 volts..... They also come with a Life time Warranty!

Buffalo.jpg

hey Sentential, you said why not get 2 sticks instead of 1, because with two you can run dual channel. i though AMD didnt have dual channel on the lower end models or something. maybe thats the athlon 64 procs? anyway, even if it does have dual channel, it cant really take advantage of it because Amd, unfortionatly, doesnt have as high bus speeds as intel. if they did i would most likely have an Amd system, but i like the idea of a 1.1ghz FSB ;)

Back