• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Built Computer, Trying to install XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vasto

Registered
I just built my computer, and now I'm trying to install a LEGAL version of Windows XP Home Edition. When I first tried to install it, a message came up telling me: NTLDR is missing. I solved this by switching the Boot drive order, so that the CDROM drive boots before HDD0 does. Then I got to the actual Windows set up thing, and a message came up saying: Ntkrnlmp.exe Could Not Be Loaded. The Error Code Is 7. I rebooted the computer, and then I recieved a warning that showed up like this:
TRAP 00000006 ===================== EXCEPTION
================================

tr=0028 cr0=00000011 cr2=00000000 cr3=000000000
gdt limit=03FF base=00017000 idt limit=07FF base=00017400

cd:eip=0008:412AC1B7 ss:esp=0010:00061FEB errcode=0000
flags=00010013 Cy NoZr IntDis Down TrapDis
eax=023EE94A ebx=00401280 ecx=0000FE18 edx=534D0040 ds=0010 es=0010
edi=00461643 esi=00051D68 ebp=000609E8 cr0=00000011 fs=0030 gs=0000

Aproximately. And then I took out the ram and inserted it into the slot closest to the processor (i had it in the slot farthest away before,) and now, I get the NTLDR is missing AGAIN. I switched to boot order, and it wont work.

Please HELP ME.

It sounds like its still booting from the harddrive first. Switch it to the CD-Rom first and then it will display "To boot from cd press any key"

then you press any key.

O wait, i pressed a key imediately, and now a NEW error popped up: Line 2786 of the INF file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit

Ok, I've been working on this, and now, I'm BACK to the:
FILE \i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded.
The error code is 7.

I would suspect a hardware problem under your circumstances...
RAM / hard drive / heat...

i would start by trying to run a memtest86 bootdisk to check the RAM

could you list the hardware components?

yes i would say hardware prob aswell......

you have other parts you can switch and swap to break down the problem part?

Chad

When you were installing the CPU did you slip and maybe hit and break one of the traces comming from the socket? I did that once ang got a ton of errors that sound like yours. I had to replace the board.

Try removing all non-essential components (modems, sound cards) and try installing them. Also, is the cd scratched? Definetly, check the ram, it sounds very much like a ram problem. Good luck!

Matt

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=812580

This will probably help. :D.

This issue may occur if your computer's BIOS has issues when ACPI is enabled.

Click New Installation, and then click Next.
Follow the instructions on your screen.
When you receive the "Press F6 to load SCSI/Raid Drivers" prompt, press F7 to bypass Advanced Configuration and PowerInterface (ACPI) detection.
Finish the installation of Windows XP.

So, do you think the RAM is bad, should I RMA? I got it from new egg.

SOmeone Help, I ran the Memtest 86 v. 3.1, and no errors came up. I have no additional crap installed (modem, sound card etc.). And it still wont work.

mdcomp said:
Try removing all non-essential components (modems, sound cards) and try installing them. Also, is the cd scratched? Definetly, check the ram, it sounds very much like a ram problem. Good luck!

Matt

^^^^...did you try any of my suggestions?

Matt

I dont have any nonesstential things in my computer. The soundcard is built into the mobo, I dont have a modem (I have lan built into my mobo)
I ran memtest 86 v. 3.1 for an hour and it didnt find anything.
i don't know what else it could be.

Being overclocked while trying to install an OS can produce results such as you are experiencing. Try setting your bios to default settings and try your install.

Fail-Safe Defaults Loaded: Didn't work, I still get the same errors

After I get home from Lacrosse practise, I'm gonna call windows and get them to fix it. I saw the source code, and now I know why it has swearing, because those words are said during installation.

Vasto, maybe install something simple. If you have a 98 startup
floppy do an FDISK , then FORMAT /Q then a SYS C: then boot
from the harddrive ...
At least you could eliminate hardware as the problem.

Back