• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible flashing of 5600 ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anyone had experience flashing these cards to a better spec?

I could do with some basic info on flashing cards bios and howto go about it, you no what tools to use, were to get the other bios copies blah, blah.

Thanks.

bump

I'm doubting it can be done, or if it's worthwhile or not. But I'd definitely be interested if it can. ;)

YellowDart said:
bump

I'm doubting it can be done, or if it's worthwhile or not. But I'd definitely be interested if it can. ;)

There is no bios upgrade for the 5600 series, the performance is locked in the hardware.

stratcatprowlin said:

There is no bios upgrade for the 5600 series, the performance is locked in the hardware.

Figured as much... oh well... I'll have to suffer w/ 360/880 till the nv40 comes out. ;)

nv40 whats that??
Also what that pny thing stand for?? hope its not for puny :) because I don't think GXF5600 are puny at all.
It is a great card for those of us who are financially challenged :)

You got me curious now :)

PS::: Personaly I don't see anything wrong with the 5600 it is a good entry level card and is serving me very well.
Any game I try it on works great including some of the more demanding dx9 games like COD, X2 The Threat and Dues Ex Invisible War.

Regards 007

007 said:
nv40 whats that??
Also what that pny thing stand for?? hope its not for puny :) because I don't think GXF5600 are puny at all.
It is a great card for those of us who are financially challenged :)

You got me curious now :)

PS::: Personaly I don't see anything wrong with the 5600 it is a good entry level card and is serving me very well.
Any game I try it on works great including some of the more demanding dx9 games like COD, X2 The Threat and Dues Ex Invisible War.

Regards 007

PNY == the manufacturer of my video card. Not really sure what it stands for.

The nv40 is nVidia's code name for their coming line of graphics hardware. The current generation of cards are the nv30's. nv40 is the flagship, high end, card. I'll probably end up picking one up this summer. ;) I'm not complaining (much) about my 5600. It's not a bad card @ all, but I want a card w/ some balls. When HL2 comes out, I want to be playing it @ 1600x1200 w/ all my settings maxed. :D I'm not sure whether or not the nv40 will be capable of that, but no harm in wishful thinking... ;)

YellowDart said:

PNY == the manufacturer of my video card. Not really sure what it stands for.

The nv40 is nVidia's code name for their coming line of graphics hardware. The current generation of cards are the nv30's. nv40 is the flagship, high end, card. I'll probably end up picking one up this summer. ;) I'm not complaining (much) about my 5600. It's not a bad card @ all, but I want a card w/ some balls. When HL2 comes out, I want to be playing it @ 1600x1200 w/ all my settings maxed. :D I'm not sure whether or not the nv40 will be capable of that, but no harm in wishful thinking... ;)

personally i am very weary of 1rst generation "anything" im going to pick up a 9800pro untill next year and wait it out.Next year i will upgrade everything. The amd64 bx mobo and pci express card.

stratcatprowlin said:

personally i am very weary of 1rst generation "anything" im going to pick up a 9800pro untill next year and wait it out.Next year i will upgrade everything. The amd64 bx mobo and pci express card.

What?

Then I will just wait and get your old stuff.:D

No talking of sells here, but we know where to communicate...:cool:

stratcatprowlin said:

I can see your concern, but if nVidia gets their heads back in the game (which it looks to me like they are), then I've got some pretty high hopes for the nv40. Industry buzz about the new hardware sounds very optimistic so far.

Good example of a new 1 gen card that pwnz: radeon 9700 pro. ;)

It's all going to depend on performance/value to me though. I'd love an nv40 or an r420, but if the new AGP lineup is only offering up a few more fps in DX9 games over what the current AGP cards are doing, then I'll prolly just end up grabbing a 9800 pro for a fraction of the price and waiting for another year or 2 to upgrade. :)

I no what you mean, I am vry excited about the up and coming HL2 game :)

HL holds good memories for me, it was the 1st game to get me online gaming, back when I was 56k, and the pings were playable at 56k hehe.

So yeah I am dead keen for it and will be a supreme fan and hl2 propoganda merchant hehe.

As for next gen cards I dont really understand that much about them.

Are they going back to pci? or staying agp??

Anyways I will like probably get one just not this year, I think next year will be the year I go big card big cpu with a mobo to match.
Mind you if some good stuff is out around christmas time I may invest before the january sales :)

Anyways the gfx cards even our 5600 cards can and will handle hl2 we just wont be able to max out on full detail full anisotropic full AA and high res, but hey I only want to game in 1024/768 that suits me fine indeed, and I never see any detail difference when I put aa and anisotrpic stuff on anyways, so....

Regards 007

Its just a matter of preference. As long as i can play the games at a decent quality thats good enough for me. For the budget i had it was by far the best card i could get. It was either an FX5600 256MB or a 9200SE 256Mb.

Most of the games i'm playing at the moment are oldies anyway, Max Payne, Serious Sam, System Shock 1&2( Fully Modded Version), Thief 1&2, Project IGI etc... I will consider upgrading in a year or so but for now i'm happy :) I'm always a year or so behind everyone else with my gameplaying anyway :D

fac_29 did you get IGI2 as-well as IGI??

I have both myself and was yhinking of renstalling IGI2.

Regards 007

No i only got IGI 1 at the mo, i've only just got it in fact but i'll defo be picking up IGI 2 as well some time. I got one of the 3 for £10 deals from Game. Project IGI, The Thing and Day Of Defeat.

Yeah I buy my games from GAME, I have the loyalty card as-well get some good money back vouchers 3 or 4 mtimes a year of them.

If you pre-order games you get megga points on your card = uber vouchers :)

Regards 007

Yeah thats what i do, thou since Gamestation opened up near me i prefer going there. They sell Preowned PC games(unlike Game) and you can get some old classics for literally pence. Thats what i love about PC Gaming, its so damn cheap!(Game wise that is :D). Theres no collectors market for PC Games to drive the prices up(like console games) i've noticed either.

Yeah same here, a game station opened up near me in my local town also hehe.

Though I am kinda loyal to GAME for the new releases cause of my loyalty card.

But I also pop inj to game station for the second hand games as-well.

Thing is though you cant re-sell pc games only xbox dvd roms :(

Well pc games will all be dvd soon enough maybe then they will start taking them in as trade and selling them second hand all over the palace :)

Reminds me that I nead to get a dvd player for the new games soon :( more money gone :(

Regards 007

Back