• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to write-protect the BIOS on a K7TTurbo2 mobo ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberwolf

Hy.

A few days ago i bought a new CPU for my computer (an AtlonXP 1800+) and because my BIOS didn't recognize it correctly (it said "Unknown CPU 1533Mhz") i made a BIOS update.

But to my surprize, there's no jumper to enable BIOS update on my motherboard, so if a mallicious program or virus wants to destroy my BIOS i can't do anything against it.

Somebody told me that if i take out the BIOS from the socket and tear of one of its legs (or bend it or cover it with some sort of insulator) than the BIOS writing will be disabled.

My problem is i wouldn't do something such drastic if there's any other way around it (besides changing the motherboard :))

On the other hand i don't know the pin layout of the BIOS, so i don't know which onw is for writing.

Hy.

I read the manual, but from my (maybe limited) knowledge, the "Enable Virus Protection" means only that the BOOTSector of the HDD can't be changed, not that the FlashBIOS can't be rewritten (or damaged) by a program or virus.

The BIOS Password protection is good only so that nobody (except me) can modify the settings in the BIOS.

About the boot order, i always have "C only" (acrually it's "First Boot Device : HD0"), so that's not a problem.

My concern is about viruses like CIH (which actvates on 26th of April) and which can damage the Flash BIOS if it's not write protected.

Anybody knows if i can somehow protect the BIOS from this kind of attack ? (and if so what should i do).

I tried to find the PIN layout of my bios, but can't seem to find it anywhere :(.

Thanx in advance for any help.

Back