• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink and Fan won't come off TI4200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bkuhn04

Registered
I have a Visiontek Xtasy TI4200 and the stock heatsink and fan are pretty cheap. In addition it makes alot of noise when it starts up. I'd like to overclock this card but i don't trust the fan. I tried sticking it in the freezer for 3 hours but the heatsink still won't come off.

Would using a heat gun damage the gpu?

run a 3dmark for 1 hours. then quickly try taking the heatsink off.
never try to heat it with something else then by the card itself.

and maybe the heatsink is glued on?

IMO there are a few way's I try to remove mine

1 Blow dryer dont get the card to hot tho you might heat up something you done need to.

2 A Credit card between the HSF and card.

3 Freezer for a few hour's.

Be carefully removing stock HSF sometimes there really put them on there.

it's glued on

The heatsink is glued on to the gpu. There is no plastic studs or anything on it. I'll try the blowdryer method first because I somehow deleted my copy of 3dmark.

i would go with the looped 3dmarks method myself if not try the freezer method in a plastic bag for a few hrs then it should pop right off

No methods work

None of the methods described above are working, does anybody know if Visiontek uses some kind of epoxy that does not come off unless heated to 900 degrees?

Back