• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot disk failure :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THunDA

Hi all..

Im pretty sure one of my hard drives went last night but I have a question..

I was running prime last night when I went to bed ..at 230*9..11-2-2-2 which was prolly too tight of timings but it was goin and I fell asleep..

When I got up it was a black screen that said BOOT DISK FAILURE. My guess is it rebooted and currupted the drive :( .. Now I do see both drives in the sata bios at boot .. and I do hear a slight noise from inside which sounds like one of the drives.. I can get into the sata bios but cant boot to XP cd or even boot to a floppy..

Now with the noise I assume that one of the drives is bad which stinks cuz its my second rma to seagate.. I always thought that with having a Nforce which locks the pci\apg that I couldnt damage my hard drive and only corrupt it..

Does corrupting the hd damage it also ?

Tonight im gona try to delete the array and recreate to see if that works but with the noise its prolly shot right ?

Thx
Thunda

edit..

Oh if it makes any difference the 160gig ide drive in my sig isnt attached to my rig right now..

Run a diagnositc on the two disks to see if one died. I know SCSI has one built into the controller but dont know about SATA.

Thx
I'll try that when I get home.. But unless something changes I cant even boot to a floppy.. maybe when I delete the array and check them seperatly I will be able to.. maybe the noise will dissapear when I format them also..lol ( in my dreams ) ..

Still wondering if corrupting them from too tight memory timings will actually damage the drive.. or maybe the drive failed over night and it wasnt the mem timing..

guess this is why I should have used memtest instead of prime to test the mem... I should know better..

Last edited:
Well I do have a image from a while ago.. I havent backed up .. awww my saves for nfsu.. :(

Thx for replying.. I was just wondering about the corruption causing it.. guess it must have been one of the drives then..

I use a 16k\16k raid set up.. Is there anything I might be setting up wrong..?
Does the 16k\16k settings stress them more ?

Thunda

:p :p YAY !!!!!!!
It was just a loose molex..lol I put a zip tie around it now so it doesnt come apart again.. I really wish I looked at it last night but it was late and to think I was pee'd off all day :D

Thanks for your help guys

Thunda

**bump**

Well few weeks lata the same thing.. I was playing a game last night and bam ! The game and everything froze like I pressed a pause button and I heard the noise from one of the hd's again.. then I rebooted and it said incomplete raid set ... took forever to just get it to go into the raid bios and delete the set ..

Now today I left it running the seagate tools thing on the drives .. cuz after deleting the array and leaving them seperate ( not in array ) they where both seen my the seagate tools ..and I was able to pass the sata bios screen..

Now if it says they are good is that accurate enough to say my problem might still be with a cable somewhere ?

Also the Seagate tools asked me if I wanted the drives to test themselves or for the system to test them.. I choose system was that right ?

Thanks
Thunda

Looks like one is bad :(...

Cable Test - 0 Errors
Buffer Test - 0 Errors
Identify Data
Model Number: ST380013AS
Serial Number: 3JVXXXX9
Firmware Revision: 3.05
Default CHS: 16383-16-63
Current CHS: 16383-16-63
Current Capacity: 16514064 Sectors
Total Capacity: 156301488 Sectors
ID Method: Unknown
SMART Check: Passed
DST - Errors - Status: 07
SMART Check: Passed

Whatever that DST error 07 is .. it only showed up on that one drive... rma time I guess..

Back