• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is It Okay To Tape Up PSU Vents?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jay8oP

i just got my new antec 550watt psu and was wondering if it was okay to tape up the vents so it will just suck air in and pull it out from the fans and not the holes.

im pretty sure the 92mm fan on the bottom can cool off the whole psu while the fan on the side pulls air out.

You'll be increasing the restriction the fans face, reducing their efficiency and decreasing their lifespan (though probably not dramatically). It's a downgrade in any case, and why would you need to tape these vents up?

well on my enermax the fan on the bottom blows air back into the case because of the vents. i taped up the vents and dont seem to have a problem with it though. i read somewhere that taping up the vents is a good thing but i cant seem to find the article or post anymore.

doubt itll be good thing, ur trying to mod its airflow, u wont see many instant issues if theres something wrong tho itll no doubt wear ur psu away till it goes sooner than it shud do :s

Jay8oP said:
well on my enermax the fan on the bottom blows air back into the case because of the vents. i taped up the vents and dont seem to have a problem with it though. i read somewhere that taping up the vents is a good thing but i cant seem to find the article or post anymore.

Well air coming out of the back of a PSU is not necessarily bad. The alternative may be a dead spot, and it's unknown how hot the air coming out on the back actually is.
I would not worry about it, especially when you have an adjustable or fast-spinning front PSU exhaust fan that will draw the vast majority of hot air out of the case.

Back