• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Adata ram freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TPOGS

I just bought a dual channel set 4200 (512mb) at komusa, but the ram has been crashing at very low speeds when I put both sticks in. If I run them by themselves, everything is ok. I have tried running them together in non-dual channel mode, but it still crashes at low FSB, around 265. I have been able to run the FSB up to 280 on just one stick. 3-4-4-8 timings and 2.8 volts, P4 MO stepping, IS7-E motherboard. I just upgraded to the newest bios, but no help. Anyone have any suggestions?

TPOGS

Welcome to the forums !!

If you haven't already you may want to try and set your GAT settings under Advanced chipset management in bios to AAADD. These last two settings are known to give people fits when trying to run up your fsb.
Need to know what cpu you have also.

Curious what CPU you have as well -- is it the 2.4M0, or the 2.8M0? Also curious if you've done ANY mods to your motherboard, as I've heard at least a few reports of the IS7's not doing stellar FSB overclocks on default settings.

Also, what voltage are you feeding your northbridge? (I believe it's tied to AGP voltage on that particular board, but I could be mistaken)

Thanks for replying and welcoming me!

I set my GAT settings to aaadd, but it still crashes when it loads windows. It only crashes at higher FSB in dual channel mode, haven't tested non-dual channel throughly yet. Oh, and I have a P4 2.4C and have not modded anything. I have not changed the AGP voltage either.

I would guess your motherboard, particularly the northbridge, is what's holding you back. Either you need to pump some AGP voltage through that puppy, or else go looking for a VDIMM mod to grab extra voltage for running dual channel.

Dual channel at high FSB requires a lot of northbridge and VDIMM power; it's possible that you just don't have enough of one or both either because of the board itself or the powersupply. My board was stuck almost permanently at 283-284 until I voltmodded my Antec TruePower 430 powersupply. I can now boot at 292 and even get into Windows on most occasions, but it's still not stable.

My own personal next step is to voltmod the board since now I know the powersupply isn't the problem. Here's hoping it works :)

also make sure u test the cpu by running the memory at 5/4 or even 3/2.. that way u take the memory out of the equation and get an idea of how fast the cpu can go.. as Albuquerque has said hi fsb and memory needs alot alot of power for stability, and cooling for the nb.. some guys are just lucky, pop in a cpu and presto 290-300 fsb, but believe me for most people to get those speeds alot of things have to be taken in consideration, including luck...

It may be the IS7 MB doesn't like adata memory. I just got some a I hard hang on post at 1:1 258 and above. Prime stable at 257:bang head

I used clockgen once I got in at 257 and its good till 275 at 2.8v default timings. Its the MB or bios issue. Same thing happen to on my OCZ at 1:1 and my CH-5 stuff 5:4, dies on post at certain speeds.

Since I know my CPU is good to 300 its a memory incompatibility I think. Going to move the CPU and memory over to my AI7 tonight and check it out.

TPOGS, if you haven't done so crank the AGP to 1.65 (Max). Change the bubble gum off the NB (take it off and clean it, put Artic V on it) that will help to stabilize the dual channel operation some what. I have 2 IS7 boards and just cleaning the NB helped a lot.

Sounds kinda like my Albatron motherboard when using PAT... It's perfectly stable up to around 257FSB, then becomes very slightly unstable until 265FSB, and then anywhere above that it suddenly refuses to boot.

BIOS issue I would assume.

Back